Chapter I - Jayrock

Planet Grebros

Jayrock Petrolons was startled by a loud rap on the table. As he looked up, Major Stonyx retracted the deep-saffron rock she had materialized on her knuckles.

"If you're quite ready, Captain Petrolons... I suppose you have had ample time to stare at your lap." Major Stonyx's husky voice grated against Jayrock's ears. "So, how did it come to you shooting your own comrade?"

A lean old woman with a firm face, graying hair, and slender claws for hands, Major Stonyx would have hardly looked any different if she were a corpse.

Jayrock absentmindedly shifted in his chair. Where to even begin? "We were at the amusement park, getting everyone evacuated. The bomb was ticking — there was no telling how much time we had. The terrorist was still somewhere in there. And" — Jayrock sighed — "we had no idea which ride was rigged."

"Understand that it is your right not to testify against yourself," the attorney, whose name Jayrock didn't remember, chimed in, half-mumbling into Jayrock's ear, half-announcing to everyone present. I understand enough, thank you very much, thought Jayrock.

From the head of the table to Jayrock's right, Colonel Sandywick leaned in toward him. "Also, understand that your comrades, who happened to see you shooting the young lad in the face, have every right to testify against you."

Colonel Sandywick was here representing the prosecution. Tall, stout, and with a downturned mouth, Colonel Sandywick had never looked so pleased with himself as he looked today — he was here to make sure Jayrock went out of the room with a fate worse than death.

"I do say I personally would prefer their version if you are not feeling up to it," Sandywick was saying.

They were seated at a long, heavyset table in a round, subterranean room with glass walls. The jagged bedrock, out of which the space was carved, was visible through the walls. The room was well-lit, courtesy of a large, domed skylight and a bright sun shining over planet Grebros. It was part of Fort Pedralt, a sprawling, underground Grebrik army headquarters carved into the foothills of Mount Pedralto.

The attorney was next to Jayrock while across the table were seated Major Stonyx and Major Kubbles, a pale, balding man with eyes so blue, they gave Jayrock the shivers. Both had notepads lying open in front.

Jayrock supposed he did not look bereaved enough. Out of habit, he had neatly combed his short, light-brown hair, which went along with his brown eyes and framed his square face. He was dressed immaculately in his service uniform — a teal coat, a starched white dress shirt, and sandy-brown trousers. His polished, black dress shoes gleamed in the sunlight.

No one saw me shoot him, you old fool, Jayrock thought. I told them. "That won't be necessary, Colonel Sandywick. I did come here with the absolute intention of providing a complete account," responded Jayrock noncommittally.

"Excellent. Continue."

Jayrock took a deep breath. He was back at the amusement park. The night sky was visible unimpeded since the park was one of the few places on Grebros built on the planet's surface. Most of the infrastructure was found in underground cities covered with massive, transparent domes to escape the extreme, arid conditions on the surface of Grebros.

Jayrock wore his battledress with its teal jacket, matching cargo pants, and white vest. His black combat boots clacked against the concrete as he rushed along the avenue at the entrance, while his dog tag dangled about his neck.

The entrance was bathed in the glow emanating from the rides, kiosks, and restaurants. Huge cartoon figures frolicked against the night sky. The Fun Grebrik Express, far away, was still bustling along its overhead railroad.