Chapter 9

"Is that so? It's nothing I couldn't teach you." He glared at John.

"Yes, Clara. The Duke is a far better physician than I am."

Clara?! Did he just call her Clara, Leo thought angrily. He was just about to reprimand him when Clara spoke.

"Pish posh, he's just more experienced because he's much more older than you are."

John actually blushed.

Older? She thought he was old?

How had he never noticed how stupid John looked, Leo wondered silently. He was going to have to talk to Clara. He didn't want her to disrupt his juniors' practice. But he'd have to be gentle. And his brain started reminding him of all the other times he could be gentle with her.

"My Lord, are you alright? Clara asked.

Oh God, what had she been talking about? He immediately cleared the perverted thoughts in his head.

"I'm sorry, I was just thinking about a particularly complicated case."

"Oh never mind. It's not like you'd mind anyway." She shrugged.

"What is it?" He persisted.

"John giving me lessons in the human anatomy."

"I just told you that I could help you with that." He said through clenched teeth.

"But you're so busy. Look at how you lost your temper today. And don't worry, John will only conduct the lessons during his break." She smiled.

Leonard wanted to break something, preferably John's neck. He couldn't say anything now though, it would make him look like a tyrant. He nodded and took his leave.

Clara was already missing her husband.  She hadn't seen him at luncheon either.

She was still a little upset over what had happened that morning, but thought it was better to let it go. Clara thought she'd seen jealousy in his eyes when he'd seen her talking to John. But she discarded that thought because she knew how mature he was.

Just then a footman appeared with a note. It was from him. Her stomach fluttered.

It said– If you have nothing to do this afternoon, would you like to join me on a picnic beside the river bank?
                                             –Leonard.

The note was so much like him, direct and to the point.

She quickly wrote back a note saying she'd be ready in half an hour.

Leo was excited about the picnic and excitement wasn't something he was familiar with.

He'd planned it so he could make it up to Clara for today morning. The thought of spending time alone with her was enough to send blood rushing to his loins. There hadn't been any question of going on a proper honeymoon because of Isabelle. So they'd have to make the most of what they had.

Clara arrived precisely half and hour later. She'd left her hair unpinned and it was flowing down her back in soft chocolaty waves. He wanted to devour her. He held out his hand and she took it with a smile. It reminded him of the first time they'd taken a stroll in the gardens. He was always a beast to her, but she always put up with his thoughtless actions.

He wasn't very religious, but he thanked God anyway.

When they reached the lake, they laid down the picnic towel together and opened the basket their French cook had prepared for them. They ate and chatted for a while. Clara was surprised by how much they were laughing. She loved watching her husband laugh, he looked so delicious when he laughed and the sound of his laugh did indescribable things to her.