Chapter 8

Unaki dropped Julie's knife in front of her and then lifted her up. She was covered in sweat and dirt, although it was better to be covered in that than monkey shit. Julie almost stumbled before getting her footing and standing freely on her own. Her bones felt weak, but Unaki murmured something about how she'll feel better soon.

Once she cleaned her knife off, she made a bee-line for Kaitan. And luckily for her, the adrenaline kept her standing and she ran over to Kaitan, lifted him up and helped him to walk.

"I hate when I end a day with more questions than answers," said Julie.

"You and me both," said Kaitan.

Unaki could tell that the both of them were suspicious of her, so she looked away. Instead, she focused on the doorway. "We must depart," she said.

"Yeah, but you've got some 'splainin' to do," said Julie.

"You'd better start talking," said Kaitan.

Unaki lowered her head and closed her eyes. "We must leave," she said.

"Why? Is the building going to collapse?" Julie asked.

"No," Unaki replied. "Because I do not want to stay here anymore."

"I understand that," said Manti. "But can someone please help me up?"

Unaki was the person made to do it. But the journey out of the structure was long and awkward, particularly the part where they had to carry Oranta's now-smelly corpse through the halls. Julie was also filthy and covered with dirt, but what kind of a jungle girl would she be if she was afraid to get a little dirty? Really, the dirt covering much of her sweaty skin was like a badge of honor. Oh sure, she was going to wash later but for now, she looked pretty good caked in dirt.

Once they were out, they took Oranta and tossed her corpse down the steps of the structure, where it landed in front of the Teo warriors. Once they saw Manti coming down, they all cheered and hollered in relief while he waved his hand at them. Some of the researchers came out of the woods, grabbing the Chief to get a good look at him and see if he was injured.

Julie slowly helped Kaitan down as well, and Kame took hold of him so he could look over him with the researchers' doctors. But Julie also glanced at Unaki, narrowing her eyes at the Paea girl. There would be a big discussion tonight.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

There was an impromptu luau that night. The Tribe had been storing some prime meat and food for a special occasion, so what better occasion than the rescue of their Chief?

They roasted two wild boars and a deer on spits and served them with pineapples, mangoes and other fruits native to the island. The researchers provided their own food as well, and it became pretty obvious that Unaki had never seen a Caesar salad before.

Though they had not yet had the time to, the Tribe were preparing a celebratory haka to celebrate Manti's rescue. Luckily, the Maori and non-Maori Kiwi members of the research team were more than happy to perform the Ka Mate haka for the occasion.

Some of the Teo tribesmen did take part, though. Kaitan included. The powerful haka, a celebratory haka, echoed through the jungle.

"Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!
Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru
Nāna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā
Ā, upane! ka upane!
Ā, upane, ka upane, whiti te ra!
"

The partygoers erupted in applause as the participants shook hands and became friends.

The ceremonies ended and the actual meal began. Conversations popped up between both research team and Teo Tribe members thanks to interpreters (Kaitan and Julie).