Tall Thin Visitor

My eyes flew open in the pitch blackness.

It was a bizarre feeling. I wasn't sure what woke me, but my heart was pumping and my fingers tingled. Something was wrong. Perhaps I ate too much last night and I was paying for it now. Never mind – I had a long day tomorrow and I needed the most of my sleep. Uncomfortably full stomach and nightmares could go to hell.

I made to turn in my bed to go back to sleep, but – I wasn't sure what actually caught my eye, or maybe I just turned my head a little – there it stood, at the corner of my bed, next to my door. Its blank white face stared at me with no discernible features. Its tall and thin body, clad in a black suit, blended into the darkness.

The air almost crackled with electricity, the air devoid of oxygen. I drew in a shaking breath into my lungs, feeling like iron straps were laced across my thorax. Each breath was agonisingly slow.

And all the while, the presence stared at me.

I couldn't move. Every breath was like wading through quicksand. My eyelids became heavy as lead, drooping down like syrup. That blank white face disappeared. Gasping for breath, I forced my eyes open again.

It was closer.

The breathing was laboured, now. The invisible metal straps across my chest tightened. My eyes were so, so tired. All I wanted to do was close them and sleep, but I knew, deep down, if I do that, it would take me. Forever.

My arms pinned to my side, I struggled with all my might to keep my eyes open. Helplessness consumed me. They drooped... drooped... drooped...

I felt its breath on my face. Slender fingers caressed my cheeks.

Darkness.

This is Rosaimee's third writing challenge, a horror flash fiction of my favourite room in the house. My bedroom. Based on an actual nightmare I had. [298 words]