Chapter 9

Calla Stewart's POV

I woke up in a stranger's bed.

Dark sheets surrounded me and a cozy comforter of the same dark grey trapped my body heat, keeping me nice and warm. I threw them off of me the second I had realized the bed wasn't mine though.

The dress I wore the night before was still on my body, although extremely wrinkled. I felt constricted and uncomfortable in it. Especially since I had slept all night in it.

I sat up and swung my legs over the mattress, placing my bare feet on the plush carpet. My heels from the night before were sat neatly on the floor beside the bed.

I could only guess that this was Mr. King's home, I hadn't been around anyone else last night, he was the last person I saw, unfortunately. I didn't really want to see him after last night. I had embarrassed myself beyond return. Just the thought of the events that occurred made my stomach twist in anxiety again. Not only had I made him look bad at the party, but I also made him suspicious of who I was.

I wasn't sure what I could tell him. My past was not something I liked to share, let alone with my boss, someone who continued to terrify me day by day. Looking at it that way, I definitely couldn't trust him enough. But, I might not even get that choice. I might be forced to tell him regardless of whether or not I feel comfortable, just to keep my job. Not that I had much of a chance after last night.

I tripped over my dress as I made my way to the door. It was hemmed to the height I was with the shoes on, leaving it too long without them. I bunched the skirt into one hand so that I could walk freely, and opened the door as quietly as I could.

Maybe I could try to sneak out of his apartment. But, I didn't have my bus pass or any change. I had no way of getting home but walking, and it would take hours. Plus, I only had heels to wear. Since that plan was firmly squashed, I was forced to face my boss again.

I tiptoed carefully out of the room, coming into the hallway I had gone down last night when Lauren dolled me up. I walked down the hall to where it opened into the living room. There, Mr. King sat sprawled lazily on the couch.

His eyes instantly flicked over to my form standing in the hallway and he sat up, "Good morning, Ms. Stewart," he said professionally.

"G-good morning," I whispered.

It felt like he was going to go back to yelling at me any second. I was already shaking at facing this man and I refused to look up even when he cleared his throat, clearly trying to get me to.

"Come sit. We have some things to discuss," he said.

"I'm okay, sir. I can stand."

I didn't want to be any closer to him than required.

"Sit down, Calla," he growled.

I was sitting down in a flash, though as far away from him as possible. I was seated tensely on the very edge of the cushion, almost falling off of the couch.

Mr. King got right to it, "What happened last night should not have happened, but it does not change my suspicions of you. The more cooperative you are right now, the easier this will be," he stated, "Now. Who is your father?"

I did not want to deal with this the second after I woke up. But, I needed to keep this job, and I was pathetic enough to deal with the questions to come if it helped. I needed to tell him what I could, otherwise, I would have nothing left. Everything that I owned, although it wasn't much, would be lost.

Her Suited SaviorOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara