Chapter 21 | The Hobo in Shinchan Pajamas

After I'd garfed down the entirety of the triple cheese pizza and my stomach was churning in a very unlady-like manner, I hear my phone ringing from...where?

I rummage through the blankets strewn over my bed, dig through the clothes I'd thrown off on the bed hurriedly yesterday, throw away the empty pizza box, find my headphones, my kindle which I thought I'd lost, my Elvis Presley album and a freaking statue of an elephant.

"Are you doing this because I didn't pay the blind man across the street from my office this morning?!" I scream at my ceiling.

My phone keeps ringing.

"It's on the floor." Frieda shrieks from dowstairs.

"Holy.." I stammer and jump onto the floor and there! Behold! My phone!

It was a number I didn't recognise.

"Hello."

"Miss Bellemore," The calm voice thunders from the other side of the phone. I could almost hear lighting flash from the window behind me, and a clap of thunder follows.

"I've called you twice, Miss Bellemore." He says calmly, but the way he said it made me feel like I was being lowered into a volcano, strapped to a shark.

"I'm sorry, Mr Achorn. I couldn't find my phone and I.."

"Save it. I want you in the office right now." He cuts me off.

"N-now?" I stammer, looking at my watch.

"Yes," He sighs in impatience. "Now. Get here in ten minutes or I'll pay you half of what I was going to." He orders and hangs up.

I stare at my phone in shock. A few seconds later, my blood starts boiling with untamed anger.

I'll show him.

~•~

I walk down the stairs slowly, trying to hear if Freida was nearby. There was no way she was going to let me go out dressed like this.

"Oh my God. Why are you dressed like that?" She shrieks, coming out of her room and catching sight of me.

I sigh and slap my face, hard. I look at her through my fingers and groan.

"You weren't supposed to see me."

"Where are you going dressed like that?" She asks.

"Duty calls." I say with a roll of my eye.

"What kind of duty demands you dress up like a homeless man at eight o' clock in the night?" She asks, crossing her arms and giving me a stern look.

"Are you implying I look like a man?" I accuse.

"I also said homeless." She says with a smirk. I sigh and give up, throwing my hands skyward.

"Seriously, where are you going?"

"My boss wants me in the office right now or he'd shrink my salary to your height." She grinds her teeth at the comment.

"So you're taking revenge." She says with a pointed look.

"Imagine when I walk in dressed like this." I say wistfully.

"He'd scream bloody murder and run, obviously." She says. I run to tackle her but she rushes to her room and locks herself in.