thirty two

..

Footsteps slammed against the stairs, the soles of their shoes squeaking from the force. It had started to pour as Aunt Belle pulled out of the hospital parking lot. The run from the car to the library soaked their clothes.

They burst into the main meeting room.

Parson beat them there with his head start and their pitstop at the hospital. He stood in front of that large window that always hung open. The roof of the building stretched out far enough that rain only came in with a gust of wind.

Nash, Lucy, and Cliff faced him with guns in their outstretched arms.

Dray and Wells slowly walked up to the group. Aunt Belle merely inched forward, staying by the closed door.

"Welcome to the show." Parson grinned. His palms faced the ceiling as he gestured the room.

Nash's deep voice boomed off the walls. "Wells."

"Nash."

They glanced at each other and Wells nodded.

Nash took a step forward and lined up his shot one final time, but a different kind of bang hit their ears.

The door swung open nearly knocking Aunt Belle from her spot.

"Ah, perfect," Parson said and clasped his hands together.

Sheriff Heron strolled into the room, his face turned down in a glower. He raised his gun at Wells.

Wells maintained his focus on Parson. "Do it, Nash."

Dray, on the other hand, couldn't tear her eyes from the sheriff. Her mouth opened slightly. She blindly reached to tug on Wells' arm.

Parson coughed drawing all attention back on him, though Dray's darted back and forth. She watched Aunt Belle creep out from the shadows towards the sheriff, but her gun still pointed towards Parson.

"What is...?" She mumbled and refocused on the sheriff.

His face twitched up in a soft smile.

"What is, indeed, Miss Dray," Parson mused after noticing the interaction. He pulled out his gun. "If you want something done, you have to do it yourself!" He lifted it to his son.

The room flared with a gunshot. It rang out, weaving in with the wind and rain that blew into the room.

Nash dove to cover Wells, who yanked Dray down with them. The others in the room dropped to the floor.

Dray searched Wells for blood. She tugged on his jacket and shirt.

After a moment, Wells steadied her hands. "I'm okay," he said in her ear. He stood up and looked at Nash. The two smiled and hugged.

Once everyone else popped to their feet, they took achingly slow steps towards the window where Parson stood seconds ago. The wind blew into the building and brought more rain to their faces as they peered outside.