Chapter 2...

"Okay everyone, we are going to have a quick spelling test." A collective groan echoed around the class room. "Then we can eat those yummy treats you guys brought." That got their attention immediately.

Smiling I grabbed the spelling sheets and handed them out. Everyone was jittery in their seats as they wanted to eat the snacks and go home for the long weekend. With the fall festival all weekend everyone in town was excited. 

The fall festival around here was a big deal. There were rides for the kids and teens to go on, food vendors that came from all over, booths to win prizes or to buy things from local businesses, and at the end of each night concerts went on and games were held. At the end of the weekend fireworks went off. It was a huge event here in Port Townsend.

Knowing the kids were getting antsy, I started the little quiz. Because they were first graders the words weren't hard. Last night while I was eating dinner I made the list with a fall theme. That is usually how I spent my nights at home alone. I planned the next day's lessons and graded the little homework I did give out.

Being a first grade teacher wasn't as easy as everyone thought it was. Having to come up with a lesson that engaged the kids and helped them learn was difficult. With a bunch of 6-7 year olds their attention spans were next to nothing so to keep it interesting was harder than one would think.

Originally I didn't want to be a teacher. When I graduated high school I had a dream of doing something in Biology but things didn't turn out the way I had planned. My local college didn't offer the right classes and what they did offer was expensive. So instead I went into teaching and I have to say it was a great choice. I love what I do and I love my kids.

While the kids can be cute and sweet, you had to remember they were young. Little things made them upset, some threw tantrums, and just like with adults there were days they were really really grumpy. It took a special someone to handle it all and not want to quit.

"The final word is a hard one. The word is...picture." I said the word slowly as I walked around the classroom. "Picture. Mary took a picture of her dog. Picture."

I watched as they scribbled it down on the paper. A few students looked constipated as they tried so hard to get the word right. It was a cute sight seeing how hard they all tried.

Giving them all one more minute I made my way back to the front of the room. Picking up the package of markers I had on my desk I went and placed one along every desk, while they finished.

"I want everyone to pass their tests to the person behind them. The last person in the row bring yours to the front." I waited as they swapped their papers before going to the white board to write the answers.

The next little bit was helping the kids grade their quizzes and making sure no one was cheating. Once every paper was graded and handed back to their person, it was time for the treats everyone brought.

When I saw just how many treats they all brought I tried not to think about how hyper they all will be. 14 different snacks from 14 students. Yeah this afternoon was going to be interesting.

* * * * * * * *

When the parents came to pick up their kids I sent them all sheepish smiles. Practically every single kid was bouncing off the walls with all the sugar they just ate. I may not have thought it all the way through with all those sweets. They all got one of everything and every single treat was filled with sugar. The poor parents were going to hate me after today.

But it was a good way to end the week and to go into the holiday weekend. The kids had a blast trying everything and we played a few games to make it more fun.

Once the last kid left I turned to my empty classroom. Each desk was littered with crumbs and the garbage was filled with paper plates. We didn't have time to clean the tables before the parents came so it was now up to me.

It was only noon so I had plenty of time to clean up and head home to get ready for tonight. The festival kicked off tonight and do doubt everyone was going to be there. My shift at one of the booths didn't start until tomorrow, so tonight was to have fun.

"I was thinking we should be there around five." Annie voice echoed around the room as she walked in. She didn't bother saying hello and went to sit right on top of my desk.

"Hello to you too." I mumbled as I picked up some plates.

"We want to get there early enough to maybe go on a few rides and eat before the real crowd comes." She continued. "Want me to meet you there around five?" Annie finally stopped talking and looked at me for my answer.

"Five sounds good to me."

"Oh and I told Brad to meet us there as well." I raised an eyebrow. Brad Walker- was a second grade teacher that Annie had a small crush on. He was really attractive with blonde hair, soft blue eyes that always made the moms of students drool over. He always had a five o'clock shadow and he definitely worked out. It was hard not to be attracted to the guy.

"What? He asked if I was going and I said yes."

"Uh huh." The corner of my lip tugged up. For the past year Annie has tried to get Brad's attention and get him to ask her out, to no avail of course, but it didn't stop her. We have hung out with him a few times and he was super nice, which of course just add to the appeal. I found him attractive but I didn't really do relationship, not anymore. At the moment I was fine with how my life was, I didn't need someone to make me happy.

"I have to find the perfect outfit that is going to have him on his knees."

"We both know it will be the other way around." I teased.

"Don't you know it." She winked at me with a sparkle in her eyes. I shook my head at her, laughing as she got off my desk and headed for the doorway.

"Who knows, maybe we will find you a guy that will make you get on your knees." I turned around with my mouth open.

"Annie!"

"Let loose that kinky side we both know you have, Haley." Before I could say anything she turned and bounced out the room.

Yeah that is never going to happen.