35| BREATHLESS

Breathless

Breathless.

I'm sitting in front of the door, holding my breath.

The sun is gone from sight within this desolate place. I do not have a marker to know when night hits.

To know when Oceane will be taken.

I sit in front of the door.

Waiting.

I faintly trace my lips, remembering the feel of hers upon them.

A whisper catches my attention, causing me to look up.

But not towards the King's door.

The door that sat on the outside.

"Jonaus," I knew that voice as I inched closer to the frame. 

"Arishia."

I wince at the horse sickness that still invaded his throat.

"Jonaus are you still ill?"

"No, No I'm-" a rattling cough breaks off his speech.

I wait for him to finish before he continues, "I need you to tell me what was within that book."

I feel my eyes narrow as I take in the question, "I found nothing important within it."

"Why did you need it."

"Jonaus, it's a little late to be asking me these questions," I note.

I stop when the sound of his coughing is overheard again through the door.

"Please."

His one word has me closing my eyes in silent regret.

"I found nothing," I lied.

"I know you're lying," Jonaus hisses, "the Sweven is the book that holds the practices of exorcism within the darkness."

"It does," I agree.

"I know you are doing something."

"You gave me the book Jonaus," I said, wondering where he was going with this.

"I did."

Regret. It was clear and obvious to read the regret in his voice.

"Jonaus," I lean closer to the door, "What are you not telling me?"

"What are you not telling me?" He snarls.

I back away from the cruel anger that is underlying his voice. He was different. The darkness within his soul was finally eating away at him- having won too many battles it was now taking over the war.

"I need," he is panting as he speaks, "to know what you are planning to do. I can't have you take me- take him- I mean- we- you-,"

His jumbled speech has me slowly backing away from the wooden structure.

"Did I ever tell you about my mother?"

I feel my whole body stiffen at his question.

"No," I whisper.

He is silent until I hear him say, "You would not have liked her. But she...did what she had to...."

He gasps suddenly as if he can't believe what he just said.

"Foolish, docile thing," he whispers behind the door, foreign anger clouding his words.

"Jonaus," I said, my resolve wavering at his harsh tone and words- for once fearing the man that had always been a source of comfort for me within this dark palace, "you need to leave."

I jump at the sudden bang that hits the door.

His fist colliding with the wood.

There is silence until I hear his faint whispered voice, "forgive me Arishia."

And then his shadow leaves from under the door.