Chapter Five: Crumbling Down

V. Crumbling Down

One Week Later

This was hands-down the worst week of my life. Apparently, my teachers decided to host a meeting over the weekend to schedule heaps of homework this week, despite the fact that it was only the first full week of school. That was stressing me out even further than I already was.

Not to mention the fact that I had the attention span of a fly due to Dylan's freak behavior. He's been avoiding me all week and hasn't even texted, called, or simply looked at me. Did I seriously freak him out that badly? I understand that what I told him was a lot to take in, but what the hell was his problem? I mean, avoiding me was just a low blow, especially after he treated me the way he did that day in his room. The bright side was, all his ignorance of me made me shove all of my feelings for him to the back of my mind and heart, nearly completely gone for good. The way he was acting was just too much for me and I was done.

Meanwhile, Ashleigh had been harassing me for the past school week as well. Dylan had always been my protector, the shield that warded off most of Ashleigh's snarky comments. But obviously, he wasn't there for me anymore. So I've had to deal with all the run-ins I've had with Ashleigh all on my own. I had to listen to her "homewrecker", "slut", "loser", and any other unpleasant and taunting name you could possibly come up with. Frankly, I didn't give a damn about comments like those. It was only when she started bringing in Dylan's lacking presence that I began to lose it. She knew something was up because Dylan and I used to be inseparable, and now she was just pricking and prodding at it shamelessly. Sneaky, conniving Ashleigh was trying to break me and Dylan away from each other for good. But I may have already done that myself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"OW! You're hurting me!"

I yelped as my head was being jerked all over the place. My hair felt like it was all going to fall out any second now from being pulled all over my head.

"Sorry Kay! You just have such tangled hair. I honestly don't know how you manage this mane everyday, because I sure wouldn't be able to."

Bree was referring to my long chestnut brown hair. Yes, it was a pain in the ass to deal with, but it needed to be tamed and curled tonight if I wanted to look amazing for the kickback like Bree had planned. This week was horrible, so I really needed a chance to enjoy myself at the lake house this year. However, since Dylan was going to be there, Bree was over at my house. I would need her magical makeup and hair skills to help me look amazing, like I hadn't just had the single most terrible week ever.

.....

"Okay, I think I'm done! Now all you need is your hot outfit, and I've already laid it out on your bed."

I glanced at the mirror. Bree had truly worked magic on me. She managed to get my unruly locks to look shiny and perfectly curled. She gave me a flawless smoky eye look that made my blue eyes pop and sparkle. Using bronzer, she highlighted my prominent cheekbones which made my face look slimmer than its usual chubby self. Instead of looking like the gawky, awkward tomboy that I usually did, I looked and felt like a supermodel. All that was left was the outfit.

"I hope you like it. I know you usually go for comfort, so I tried to incorporate it somehow. But the overall look was supposed to accentuate your long legs and hug your curves so you look hot!" Bree exclaimed, excited.

When I approached my bed, I gasped. It wasn't a gasp of horror, but rather a gasp of surprise. What Bree had laid out was something I would've never worn, except I still really liked it. She picked a royal blue dress with a sweetheart neckline and cutouts on the back. It was fitted at the bodice and somewhat flared out at the skirt, so it twirled if I spun around. With the stunning dress, she paired little brown wedged booties and a statement necklace. As I put on the outfit, I realized I was still comfortable, but I looked hot.