thirty;

____________________

I check my phone for the umpteenth time, and there's still nothing

I check my phone for the umpteenth time, and there's still nothing. I don't know what I was expecting to find. I fucked up and hurt Mabel—I'm sure of it—and I find myself wishing I would've listened to Tyler when he said we should opt out of helping Luke land a lay. Which he seems to be enjoying from the muffled moans that are coming from downstairs.

With a groan, I roll over in bed and throw a pillow over my head. As I wait for sleep to come for me, all I can do is hope this blows over with Mabel soon.

✖️✖️✖️

The next night I still haven't heard much from Mabel. I sent her a good morning text, which I'm surprised she even replied to, but that was it. I've admitted that I messed up, and I thought that would be enough, but I guess not.

I skate back to our bench, ending my shift on the ice, and Coach shoots me a deathly glare.

"Where the hell is your head, Woods?" he bellows, tossing his arms in the air with a clipboard in hand. "You're benched for the rest of the game."

I chuck my helmet at the plexiglass that backs the bench, glowering at him. "What the fuck?"

Sitting out because my shift is over is one thing, but for the rest of the game?

Coach huffs, his cheeks inflating as his face turns a deep shade of crimson. "I won't have you blowing the game. We're too close to playoffs."

"I'm the best center forward in the team," I protest, gripping my stick tightly in my hands.

"Not tonight, you're not. You practically gave Minnesota the puck," Coach growls. He's looking at me in a way that clearly says there's no fighting his decision, that he won't change his mind, and that if I try it'll only be worse for me.

"Fuck this," I mutter under my breath, pushing past him to slam my body down on the bench.

"Miller, let's go." Coach waves for Davey and the kid shoots me an apologetic look before heading out into the ice.