Chapter Nineteen: One of 'Them'

Isipho's eyes are never dry,

And weep like orbs of morning sky;

Ensconced within the shadows

Where the kindest actions live and die.

Isipho's eyes, by Jiehu slashed,

Did shatter like a crystal glass;

Each piece alive, but living only

In a heart tested and passed.

In the end, the Southline yielded no obvious clues for Silversand to interpret

In the end, the Southline yielded no obvious clues for Silversand to interpret. Jay and Wing did not return, so when the twins finished their chase, the rest of the renegades made their way back to Rockhall.

Sethral groaned as Taz stepped on a twig and Whipper leaped. "Fuzzface, you're tense again."

Whipper dropped from his tree onto Taz and hid his face.

"Smoke," said Ryatzi, making everyone startle.

"I'm not used to you talking yet," said Fletch.

"Smoke where?" said Sethral.

Ryatzi pointed at the sun. Sure enough, there was a smoky haze around its edges. The sky had a yellowish tinge.

"The Western Shield is burning," said Taz, exchanging a look with his twin. "The flats are getting the smoke on Riverwind."

Silversand was attempting to comfort Whipper, but Taz's back was twice her height. She pranced around his paws until she nearly tripped him, and he kicked her back.

"I can't carry both of you," he said.

"Whipper, are you okay?" said Silversand. "Do we need to stop for a bit?"

Whipper shook his head. Apparently things were better on a Coppertail.

The smoky haze intensified as the renegades neared the cliffs, until it was strong enough for everyone to smell. Riverwind's new baggage would seep across the forest in the coming days.

Ryatzi was getting twitchy, and ran off to run or hunt. Whipper vanished into the back caves the moment they entered Rockhall. Sethral dropped a handful of food in front of Flitter and checked the knots on his leash. She and Whipper had lengthened it since the spy-bird had been caught two moons ago. Sometimes Sethral took him out on foraging trips, but as the condition of silence had to be met first, it only worked when he was in a good mood.

Today he was not in a good mood. "Flitter does not like copper-furred beastie," he said. "Flitter does not like having three hunters in fort when Flitter cannot fly. Want greenfur to give a longer string so Flitter can escape when hunters attack."