Wangfei Ai

But how I do give up someone I loved for a very long time?

More months came and went, and still, there was no news of the third prince. If there ever was any, Yuan held it from me.

It was one of those chilly days when I wobbled impatiently in the halls with my swollen feet and my bloated stomach. I'm at the end of my final trimester, struggling as my body exhausted itself after months of carrying this baby. I'm so close to delivering, I could feel it. It could be any day now.

The imperial physician advised for plenty of walks for an easy delivery – when wangfei Ai cornered me in the halls. She was without her usual team of handmaidens and guards tailing her around constantly. Wangfei Ai was alone and I wondered how she managed to lose her shadows. 

"Wangfei Ai?!" I murmured surprised to see her appeared from nowhere. I would've bowed but my enormous belly made it difficult to bend over. She gestured a quick wave of her hand as she urged me not to worry about the courtesies.

I took an instant notice of her fretted face, the way she's so tensed and stiff. The way she rushed to me with her hasty footsteps like she wasn't supposed to be seen or be anywhere in these halls.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yuan forbade her. 

Her eyes darted everywhere before she waved Bailing to leave.

I held on Bailing afraid to be alone with anyone in this halls lately. I didn't trust anyone not even the mild nature princess like Ai. But princess Ai was adamant about getting rid of my personal servant as her beautiful face wrinkled into a scowl and waved Bailing to disappear. 

"Leave us." Ai commanded. "I do not intend upon harming your mistress. She's safe with me."

My grip on Bailing loosened as I sent my her away as well.

Wangfei Ai rushed to me with her hard steady steps pushing with urgency. "Come." She said hastily and ushered me away to hide behind the wall where no one can see us. She leaned and began hissing words so soft, and secretive that told me she risked her safety just so she can relay  private news to me.

"I've been trying to get to you for a very long time, Jasmine." She murmured picking her head again and darting her gaze to around us. Once she's satisfied with our privacy, her chin dipped down.

"You have?" I answered wide eyes, the way she acted spilled into me that I found myself nervously fretted as we hid behind the wall. "What's going on?"

"Plenty, there's plenty going on." She sucked her breath fueling her lungs with air. "Look, Julong knew. My little brother was with him. I asked Hooney to relay the news to him about your pregnancy. Julong had been trying to get back to the palace for months now, but Yuan had been adamant about preventing him. I'm afraid prince Julong isn't fighting for the emperor anymore. Yuan had gone crazy, he's starting wars with all the neighboring kingdoms. Julong was trying to stop him and refused to fight for him anymore."

My mouth dropped stunned at the news. I've been so secluded in the palace I had no idea what's happening outside the walls. 

"Yuan had sent an edict for Julong's capture declaring him as a rebel."

"But prince Julong is the second in line for the throne, he's Yuan's brother."

Ai raised her head discretely to look around. "That don't mean anything anymore. The emperor thinks he can do whatever he wants."

I breathed. "Where's Julong right now?"

"My uncle is housing him, he's a warlord, he has a large army under his command. Julong is safe there."

I swallowed relieved, I'm glad Julong is safe and I'm glad Julong had not forgotten about me, he'd been trying to get to me despite of what I am to the emperor. 

My eyebrow rose, "so, how did you know Julong is the father?" I was certain I never told anyone. Bailing might've known but Bailing was the queen of gossips and she would know anyway without being told. 

"Girl, only a fool would be convinced Yuan is the father of that child." She almost laughed. "Anyone close to you and Julong can confidently guess Julong is the father. I wouldn't doubt that baby comes out looking exactly like him."

A wide smile caressed my lips as I pictured my baby being the spitting image of his father. I think I would prefer that.

"But let's not talk about that right now. You're in danger, Jasmine. Once that baby is born, Yuan will claim it, and once he has the baby, he might do something else with you. There's no telling what Yuan will do. That baby is the heir to the throne no matter what, he's just trying to prevent his brother from getting to him by using his own child against him. That child is a collateral, he is important."

Before I could even say anything else wangfei Ai released me and walked to the opposite direction as to escape.

I rushed to the other direction scared for my life. I never knew what was happening and I was glad I knew better than to trust Yuan's kindness. It was fake, he needed me as long as I carried my baby inside and once he have what he wants he'll probably slit my throat and toss me to the river for prince Julong to fish out. .