Chapter 19 -Harper

It's been two days since Xavier and I won the competition and also the last time I've seen him after his little announcement. I had been too chicken shit to face him the next morning. So when I heard him leave to go to the gym like he does every Saturday morning, I got up and packed me an overnight bag, cleaned the house and myself and quickly whipped up something for him to eat when he got home. I caught the bus into town and started talking to different property managers about rental houses that were vacant effect of immediately and spent the next four hours driving to different locations that were in close vicinity of school and my bakery.

It wasn't until the ninth location that we found a small one bedroom apartment with a beautiful kitchen and shared living and dining room, that I knew I had finally found my home for the next few months. I signed the papers and called Macy to tell her the good news. She was still a little sketchy about me moving out of Xavier's place so suddenly but agreed to help me move and even offered to take me out for a celebratory lunch that afternoon.

I walked two blocks to get to my bakery to see if they needed help and iced a few cakes and cupcakes before Macy showed up to take me out to lunch.

We drive a few minutes to our favourite cafe and were seated at our usual booth and ordered our usual of salt and pepper calamari, a bowl of wedges and chicken fettuccini.

"So, tell me about this new place that you so suddenly rented out?" Macy said getting straight to the point.

"It's really awesome Macy. It's a one bedroom apartment with an ensuite toilet and bathroom. It has a shared living and dining room and what I love the most about the house is the kitchen. The oven is so huge that I cannot wait to start cooking in there. And it's two blocks on the left from the bakery and two blocks on the right from the school. I don't even have to worry about transportation. I can walk to work and if the weathers too bad, I can catch the bus which is just across the street," I beamed.

Macy seemed satisfied with my answer and smiled.

"Okay, you win. I'll let you move into this new place," she rolled her eyes at me.

"Like I needed your permission anyways," I said laughing at her bossy attitude.

"Yeah, Yeah. Anyways, when do you move in? I can get Brian to get his company van to help you love your things?"

"Tomorrow," I answered wincing.

"Tomorrow! What the hell Harp? I thought when you said 'soon', I never knew you meant tomorrow soon. Are you sure my dickhead brother doesn't have anything to do with you wanting to move out so quickly?"

"I know and I am sorry for not letting you see the place first but I loved it.. and it's only for the next four and a half months till my actual renovations are over. When the property manager told me that I could move in immediately I took that opportunity. I swear to God that Xavier has nothing to do with me wanting to move out. I mean it when I say I really want, no need, my own space. I'm so used to being on my own and I kind of miss it. I also know it isn't fair on Xavier to have some random girl move in with him. So please don't make it a bigger deal than it actually is Macy. Just be happy for me."

Macy was quiet for a while as she processed my words. Our food had finally arrived and we dug in, in silence. Macy and I occasionally looked up at one another until Macy finally relented.

"Okay, fine. You know I worry about you Harp and Brian, mum, dad and I are here to help. I know you like being on your own but I just want you to know that we're your family too alright. And you have to promise me that you'll check in with me everyday so that I know you're okay."

I got up and hugged her. She may be hardheaded at times but she really did take care of me like a sister would.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you. And I promise to call you every night so you don't worry. I don't want another incident like the one when we were still at university."