Chapter Twenty-Two - Gala

I felt like I was going to pass out.

As soon as Adam and I entered the room, everyone's heads turned.

Adam didn't seem to notice and he walked right in and began to greet people. I stood close by him, my hand still resting in the crook of his arm.

He walked over to a man who was wearing a black and gold dashiki with matching pants. The man smiled as he saw Adam approaching him.

"Ndewo," he greeted.

"Hello, Nwabueze," Adam said, shaking his hand.

"It has been too long," Nwabueze said.

"Indeed. This is my mate, Evelyn," Adam said, introducing me.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," I said, holding out my hand.

He took my hand and kissed the back of it. "The pleasure is mine, Evelyn."

"Where is your father?" Adam asked.

"I have no doubt he is wandering around somewhere," Nwabueze said, laughing.

Adam laughed. "I think I'll go find him. Enjoy yourself tonight."

I smiled at Nwabueze as Adam and I walked away.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"Nwabueze Oghojafor," Adam replied. "He's the Beta Superior over the African packs, based in Nigeria. His father, Orabueze, is the Alpha."

I nodded. "He seemed nice."

"He is," Adam said, waving at someone. "He and his father are very close allies of ours."

"I thought Europe was your closest ally?" I asked, lowering my voice.

"Not anymore."

"Alpha Deveraux," A man said, walking over to us.

He was dressed in a sharp all-black suit, and I couldn't help but notice the black, satin slippers on his feet.

"Nǐ hǎo, Alpha Chen," Adam said.

They shook hands.

"This is Evelyn," he said, introducing me.

He bowed his head curtly in my direction.

"Have you seen my son?" He asked Adam.

Adam shook his head.

"I've only just gotten here. But, you know Zhao, he's probably talking strategy with someone in the hallway."

The man smiled at this.

I caught a glimpse of Jace standing to my left, subtly trying to get Adam's attention.

"Enjoy yourself tonight," Adam said, patting him on the shoulder.

We walked away from Alpha Chen towards Jace.

"They're here," was all he muttered and Adam turned to see a group of four men walk in.

They were all tall and regally dressed. Pale skin, light hair, piercing blue eyes, and a sharp jaw were common features to three of them. The fourth was shorter, rounder, and older-looking with dark brown eyes.

"Who are they?" I asked.

"That is the Alpha and Beta of the European packs, along with the Alpha's sons, Diedrick and Barret," Adam informed me.

"They're German, right?" I asked.

Jace nodded.

Their presence commanded the room and sucked all the air out of it. They watched the crowd with narrowed eyes and clenched jaws.