Chapter-5

"I swear Mr. Cavern hates my guts", I ranted. Laura listened to my complaints patiently as always. But it was unfair, getting detention for not completing my homework was too much.

"Mr. Cavern hates all of us lowly creatures who do not possess intelligence as high and mighty as his", Laura replied while busy texting someone on her cell.

I checked my time table for what class I had after my lunch break. Thank heavens it was English, at least I enjoyed this subject. Trying to divert my mind from the impending doom I felt hovering over my head due to the detention, I decided that I needed to go to the library. Call me a nerd but I would rather sit in peace among books than cry about maths homework. I told Laura that I was going to the library and do some reading. I had to issue a new book anyways. She excused herself to meet up with Justin and ran off humming to herself. I dropped my books in my locker before going to the library. My locker looked as boring as ever, I had to do something about it but I always forgot and it looked the same each passing day without any decorative additions. After shutting it with a frustrated sigh I skipped to the library to check out the new books which had just arrived in the morning. As always the library was empty, except for the few nerds like me. I wished the old librarian before disappearing behind the shelves of books. She was sorting the new arrivals so I guessed I couldn't read them yet. Selecting from the old favourites I pulled out The Book Thief and sat at my window at the far end of the library.

      Deeply engrossed in the book I didn't realise about the passage of time as the soft wind slightly blew at the pages of the book. I was completely into the book when a shadow fell over me, blocking the sunlight and my view. I looked up to see what it was, more like who it was. Looking at the familiar face of my friend grinning at me I laughed before closing the book.

"What better place to find Miss Shakespeare then the library", Chance joked.

"Well aren't you a charmer Mr. Holmes, blocking the light and disturbing a young maiden while she is reading", I retaliated. Chance laughed at my rebuttal. He climbed the window which opened to the school grounds and sat on my opposite side. Keeping the book aside I looked at Chance as he tried to avoid the librarian finding that he was there. After his stunt last time who wasn't really welcome to come here. I laughed remembering how he was caught sneaking out a book just to get a reaction from her. And boy she was angry, that was the first and last time I had seen her fuming. After that he was not really welcome here and complained that the old lady looked at him like he was a germ, disgusted.

"What are you doing here?" I asked curiously. He looked at me as I grabbed his attention. Faking a dramatic sigh he answered,"I had to run for my safety otherwise Justin would have killed me. My poor self was rejected and thrown away."

"You must've been annoying them as always. No wonder you were kicked out", I said teasing him.

"That's when I realised you were my one true love and I came running for you."

"As if."

  We joked around trying to get an upper leg on the other person when my phone beeped indicating a message. I fished it out from my pocket and tapped the screen to see who it was. It was an unknown number. I opened the message which had a photo attached along with a message. I tapped the photo. It was a picture of Laura standing behind the school talking to someone on her cell. The picture was taken from far but it was clear. Under the picture was a message. My breath hitched after reading the message. Was it a joke, if it was then it was not a funny one. I looked at the picture and back at the message when an uneasy feeling came over me. It felt like someone was twisting my inside.  Noticing my reaction Chance snatched my phone before I could react.

"Come to the backside of the school if you want her to stay safe. Come alone and don't tell anyone", Chance repeated the message "What is this? Who is this piece of shit?"

I shook my head no, there was no one coming to my mind who could play such a disgusting prank.

"You're not thinking of going right, it's a prank. Someone is trying to toy with you", Chance reasoned with me.

"You might be right but what if it is true and whoever it is could harm Laura. I don't want to take any risks, she could be in danger", I said with worry.

Chance shook his head in disbelief,"You can't believe in this stuff, you're not going" he ordered.

"You can't stop me, I'm going", I snapped at him.

"Fine, but you're not going alone, I'm coming with you", he grunted in frustration.

  I opened my mouth to complain but he raised his hand silencing any protests. I jumped out the window leaving my stuff behind as I ran to the backside of the school. This whole ordeal seemed too unreal, it was really unsettling. At the back of my mind I had this strong inclination of a déjà vu. Shaking it off we ran to the allotted place only to find that no one was there. We looked around for any signs of a person but found no one. Chance ran around to see if anyone was hiding. I dialled Laura's number which she picked up in two rings.

"Hello"

   I sighed in relief after hearing her voice. She was safe.

"Where are you?"

"With Justin, why? Is there something you need?"

"No, I'll talk to you later and tell you. Bye"

'Wai-"

I cut the phone before she could ask me and shouted for Chance to come back.

"What? Did you find her?" he asked me as he ran back.

"Yes, she is with Justin. Looks like someone was pranking us", I laughed.

"You are seriously stupid. You could have called her in the start before getting scared and running off", he complained as he flicked me head.

Ouch!

"You could have also called her", I complained.

"Yeah yeah, let's go back-" but before he could complete the sentence he was punched in the gut by a man in a mask.

I watched in horror as Chance keeled over, holding his stomach as he doubled over in pain. I tried to run over to him but a hand snaked around my waist holding me back. Before I could scream the person behind me covered my mouth with a cloth which smelled life chloroform. I held my breath as I saw Chance staggering towards me with rage filled eyes. But before he could help me the guy with the mask got behind him and struck a baseball bat on his head. Chance stood there for a few seconds as blood rushed to his face. His face was pained as he tried to comprehend what had happened. Slowly he tried moving, but before he could take a step his legs wobbled as he fell face forward on the ground. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes as I saw what had happened. I was out of breath at this point as I clawed at my assailant trying to break free. The person behind me stroked my head as if telling me it was okay to breathe in and give up. I looked at Chance who was sprawled on the ground. I gave in as my lungs cried for air and took a deep breath of the medicine. My vision blurred slowly as all fight left my body, my legs refused to support me. My energy was drained and my body staggered. My assistant supported me and kept stroking my head as if coaxing a child, as if telling me that everything was going to be fine.

My brain screamed at me to not give up, but the medicine had taken over all my senses making me lose consciousness. I sent a silent prayer for someone to notice us and come for help. It was vain of me to think for help. I had stupidly come here without telling anyone. At the least I could have told Laura when I called her. I regretted dragging Chance into this, and now I would get him killed along with me by these strange men. At this point even my body could not stand it anymore. I lost the battle for control with my mind as I went limp in the arms of the attacker, unsure if I would ever wake up.