One | Quincey

~ Amorette's Percpective ~

    The morning dewdrops of rain always calmed my nerves. It was the kind of weather that forces me to grab a book and read by the window, while wrapped in a blanket like a baby in a swaddle. The sky, oh how beautiful it was. It was a quite darker shade of blue than usual, but of course, it was raining.
    I got up my bed and my feet shivered for a moment when they touched the floor. That was when I realized I still have school despite the unfortunate weather. My heart sank. I wanted to stay at home and read.

      When I reached the last step of the stairs, I saw my mother by the door, already dressed in her beautiful yet simple brown coat with an umbrella in one hand.
     "Mother," I said "What time is it?"
     "7 o' clock in the morning, dear." she replied.
     My heart felt like it was going to escape my chest.
     "Oh no I'm supposed to be awake an hour ago!" I screamed, dashing my way up the stairs.

     I heard my mother chuckle a bit and stood by the stairs, looking up into my room.
     "Amorette honey, no need to worry. Your classes are suspended." I heard mother say from downstairs.
      When I heard the word suspended, I postponed buttoning my blouse, looked out of the doorway onto the stairs where my mother stood, and eyed her.
      "What?"
       My mother pulled her phone out her bag and showed me an announcement posted by the school administration where I study. It's confirmed.
       "Oh." I sighed with relief.
       "Anyway, I'm heading off to the store to buy us some food. Do you want anything sweetie? Would you like to come with me?" my mom suggested while putting her phone back in her bag.
        For a minute I contemplated and dreamed about getting some bubble milk tea and having one earphone plugged in my ear while reading at a cafè.
       But then I felt sleepy and thought I would just end up sleeping in the taxi on my way home.
       "I would like some bubble milk tea please?" I told my mom.
       "Of course Amorette." she said. "You sure you're not coming? We could stop by the library."
       I was tempted once again, but my eyes drooped a bit and mother noticed. She understood.
       "Next time." I replied.
       "Of course. Get some rest. I'll see you later." Mother said. "Stay safe, love you dear."
      "Love you too, mom. See you later." I said as she slowly closed the door behind her.

~

     I guess I fell asleep for a few minutes because the last thing I remember is laying down on my bed with a book in one hand and perhaps I just dozed off. But I suddenly jolted awake to the sound of scratching.
     As I ran down the stairs, for a second I thought mother was back and it was just her trying to close her umbrella, resulting to it scraping on our screendoor.
    But it wasn't mother.
    When I opened the door, I spotted a poor orange and white colored cat, shaking and dripping wet. I knew I would make a mess, but I let the cat in anyway. Luckily we had a doormat so I lay the cat there to dry. It stayed put, still shaking.
    I quickly dashed into the kitchen to find a small old towel we once used for cleaning the sink. I used it to swaddle the cat up. It was still shaking. I held the cat close to my heart, in hopes of warming it. Suddenly, the shaking stopped, replaced by a continuous purr.
     The feline was fast asleep.

    I didn't know how my mother would react if she knew I had let a cat in. So I slowly picked the cat up and craddled it in my arms as I brought it to my room to let it rest.
    I lay the cat down on my mattress and it continued sleeping. I just love cats too much.
    The feline was quite big, so I thought perhaps it was a boy, male. Its fur was white and orange, matched with auburn eyes which I noticed earlier.
    "I will call you, Quincey." I thought to myself. Outloud.

   Suddenly I heard footsteps towards my room and I realized mother was now home, for real. I didn't have enough time to hide Quincey and my door just opened. My mom stared at me and the cat.
    "HaimompleaseIcanexplainpleasedontkillme!" I said quicker than my thinking skills.
    Seeing the fear in my eyes, she laughed quite nervously.
    "Of course, you may keep the cat." she replied.
    That was quick. Perhaps she felt bad for the cat too.
     Then my mom handed me the bubble milk tea I requested and I savoured it with hapiness.