31: Best Friend Forever

Rowan observed KSJ from down the street

It was as close as he was permitted without touching one of Nico's meticulous wards, which were in fact potent and apparent if he came too close. A touch of his power would be enough to penetrate the invisible boundary, but he would not waste precious energy on lower-tier power moves. He made statements, not appearances.

At the very top of that tower the angels most likely huddled around one another for warmth and safety like the cowards they were.

His princes, too afraid to embrace their calling to something greater. Something darker. Powerful.

Nevertheless, he would be reunited with his Council again when the Blood Moon rose. They would become his soldiers, and at last, he would secure every corner of heaven and hell and the realms in between.

He could not completely blame Aelith for her shortcomings. She borrowed another body. Those powers were not hers, and it would take quite some time before she learned the ropes. However, he did wonder why she kept them alive for so long.

Yet another mess he would have to clean up.

:::

Returning to work was strange.

Grey swept through the halls of KSJ with a stack of files in hand and a smile, which grew as more and more employees wished her a good morning or stopped to greet her completely. The elevators, the finance department, the engineering department. There was not a room where someone didn't notice her entrance, and if that didn't warrant a great start to her day then she didn't know what did. Of course, not every employee went out of their way to be warm. A few just stared. But, she considered that their form of welcome.

In the lobby, pale sunlight doused the high ceilings and modern interior with a touch of autumn. Even the air seemed to smell like cinnamon and fallen leaves. Grey dropped her stack of papers off at the receptionist desk and grinned at Rin. 

"You're back!" Her coworker shouted and jogged in her tall shoes to nearly tackle Grey where she stood. They hugged, Rin's laughter and bouncy hair so contagious that she couldn't help but think of Hoseok. He was sunshine, and Rin was a rainbow. "My goodness, you're back!"

Grey asked, "How have you been?"

Rin shrugged lazily. "Overworked, but the salary makes up for it. I've planned a trip around the Caribbean for New Year's. A cruise!"

"That's wonderful. When do you leave?"

"The day after," she gushed. "Can't wait to finally start over again."

Grey agreed, patting her on the back. Hobi would be gone by then. So would she.

Rin gasped. "But enough about me, did you read this month's Vogue release? I really think you're going to want to see it."