Chapter Forty-Seven: Parrish

Still reeling from her argument with Karmen, Parrish sat down at the table and picked at her dinner. She knew she should be eating, but she was too angry. Too scared.

There was something greater and more dangerous at work in this world than any of them realized, and she was sick and tired of guessing at what that might be. Where had this virus really come from? What did their dreams really mean?

She just wanted answers.

The virus has taken everything away from her. Her future. Her family. Her identity. And now it was threatening to take her sanity.

They had come so far and been through so much, trying to find a place safe enough to rest and think through everything. But what if they had brought the enemy along with them?

She looked up at the girl sitting across from her. She looked normal. She was beautiful with her long black hair and pale skin. Other than the fact that she didn't have a zit or freckle on her perfect skin, she looked like any normal teenager.

But what about her past? The rest of them had shared stories about their families and their lives before the virus, but this girl had never once told them anything about her past. Not even her name.

"Hot dogs again for dinner," she said as casually as she could. "Not that I'm not incredibly grateful to have a hot meal, but I was just thinking how much I miss pizza. And Reese's Pieces, oh man, I'd kill for some of those. I've been looking for them at every gas station and pharmacy we've stopped at so far, but apparently everyone loves them, because they've been cleaned out. What about you?"

She stared at Lily, who had just taken a bite of her baked beans and scrunched her nose.

"Who, me?" she asked, swallowing.

"Yeah, we hardly know anything about you," Parrish said. "If you could have any meal in the world right now, what would it be? The sky's the limit?"

Lily shrugged and looked down at her food. "I don't know. I guess I haven't really thought about it."

"Come on, there has to be something," she said. "What was your favorite thing your mom ever cooked for you? Like on your birthday? What would she make for you?"

Lilyl's hands tensed into fists around her plastic silverware. "I don't have a mother," she said.

Parrish finished taking a sip of water and set her cup back on the table. "Damn, I'm sorry," she said softly. "I didn't know. What happened to her? I lost my mom to the virus."

"I never knew her," she said, her tone harsh and bitter. "I'd rather not talk about it."

Under the table, Crash kicked her foot, but she ignored him.

"Okay, but everyone has a favorite food, right? What's your favorite kind of candy?" she asked.

Lily cleared her throat and looked up. "I don't know. Those Reese's things you mentioned. Those are good."

Parrish glanced at Crash and he shook his head. She could tell he didn't want her to push the issue, but she had known Lily wouldn't have a favorite food or share stories about her family or her birthday. There was something definitely off about her, and Parrish was surprised none of them had really noticed it before now.

She was different. Guarded.

And Parrish wanted to know why.

"Mine is Hot Pockets," Crash said. "I could eat those things for every meal, every day."

"Ew, those are so gross," Karmen said, finally joining them at the table. "They're hardly even real food."

"They're delicious," he said. "And I've been surviving just fine on them for years."

"Well, if I could have any meal in the world right now, I'd want to go to Makoto. Have you guys ever been there?" Karmen asked.

"I went once with my dad," Noah said. "They had the best sushi in the city."

Karmen smiled. "I loved their sushi. I always made my parents take me there for my birthday," she said. "And I'd always make them get me a cake from The Cakeroom. I miss that place so much. They had this Hummingbird cake that had bananas and walnuts and the most delicious cream cheese icing you ever tasted in your life. It was to die for."

"I remember that place," Parrish said. "Did you ever try their Nutella cookies? Oh my God."

"Right?" Karmen asked, giggling. "Beats hot dogs and baked beans any day."

"Sounds like you guys are having fun over here," Kaya said, placing a hand on Parrish's back.

She blushed, hoping Kaya hadn't misunderstood their conversation. She didn't want to seem ungrateful.

"We were just reminiscing about our favorite restaurants back home," she said.

"I understand," Kaya said. "Sometimes it gets old having the same meals over and over again, but you'll get used to it."

"These hot dogs are great," Noah said. "Thank you for cooking for us again."

"Anything for you guys," she said. "My husband told me what you're planning to do tomorrow, and I can't tell you how thankful I am that you're willing to go out again so soon. It will mean a lot to all of us if you can find some medicine."

Parrish nodded. "My sister and father were in New York when the virus hit," she said. "I understand what it's like to be afraid you're going to lose your family."

Kaya's face softened and she leaned down to give Parrish a hug. "You poor girl," she said. "I can't even imagine what that must have been like for you."

"It's been hard, but we've all had to face hard things over the past month or so," Parrish said. "If we can help a family stay alive, that's all that matters."

"Eat up," Kaya said, clapping her hands together. "You're going to need plenty of good food and rest if you're planning to be on the road so early in the morning. I'll say a prayer for you all and hope to see you back here safely before dark tomorrow night."

Kaya smiled and moved on to talk to a group further down the table.

I hope so, too, Parrish thought, and looked up again at the mysterious girl sitting across from her.