𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆

CHAPTER FIVE

THE Glade was glum and grim from the previous day. Gladers still did their jobs but they had this dull energy. Katherine and Frypan talked, trying to lighten the mood and avoid topics about the maze and just the previous day in general.

Katherine hadn't slept and went into the kitchen quite early, making breakfast for herself. The doors to the maze hadn't opened yet, but they would soon. Minho had jogged into the kitchen but stopped seeing the girl eating silently. She stopped chewing her food upon seeing the Asian jog in.

"Why are you up so early?" Minho questioned as Katherine made him lunch for later. She offered after he began to walk to the cellar. The girl glanced up at him, sighing as she looked back down to the food.

"If I'm honest, I didn't sleep." She pursed her lips pressing together as her eyes widened for a second before going back to their usual size. Katherine placed some food in pile, Minho packing it into his pack. The girl began making his sandwich.

"Why not?" Minho knew why, but he just wanted to make conversation with her rather than standing in uncomfortable silence. She glanced up at the boy once again before focusing on the sandwich.

"Because of something Ryan said, and just because my wrist and ankle are aching." She explained. Minho pursed his lips and nodded as she finished up with his sandwich.

"How are you feeling? I mean, like hows your head?" Minho pointed to his own head as he questioned the girl. He was curious about what Ryan had said to the girl though. Katherine packed up the sandwich and handed it to the teen.

"Uh, I still have a slight headache, but not as bad as yesterday." She smiled slightly. Minho nodded and the atmosphere around the two was incredibly awkward.

"So, what did Ryan say to you?" The Asian inquired, extremely curious. The brunette shifted her eyes from Minho to the counter and then back to Minho with a sigh.

"He said that it was all my fault? But, I have no idea what that means and it's driving me insane." She rolled her eyes. Katherine rubbed her neck and rolled her head around. She was incredibly sore and achy. She really hasn't been getting to much sleep lately.

Minho hummed in thought. His eyebrows scrunched together as he concentrated, the phrase running through his head. At that moment, Katherine felt a weird sensation. She studied Minho and she felt attracted to the boy.

The girl quickly shook off the feeling and shivered. She wasn't even cold but a shiver still ran up her spine. She felt drowsy and she knew why. Katherine yawned, extremely exhausted. "You should go to sleep," Minho said before jogging out of the kitchen, leaving her in silence.

Katherine leaned against the door frame as Minho met the other runners at the door. They rumbled and opened, seeming to shake everything close to it. She watched as they all ran into the maze as soon as they could fit through the opening of the doors.

The day went on as normal from there, Clint checking up on the brunette every few hours. Once it was time to change her bandage, Fry kicked them out so the food didn't get anything 'gross' on it and he just didn't want his kitchen to be unsanitary.

Katherine and Clint ended up just going to the medical room. Katina sat on the bed as Clint grabbed all the needed materials and stuff to change and clean her wounds. The girl had rolled up her sleeve and she was already wearing shorts.

Clint crouched in front of the brunette and started up a conversation. He unwrapped her bandage and began to clean it. Katherine winced as the liquid and the touch stung her cuts. Clint apologized and noticed the dark bags under her eyes as the sun began to shine onto her face.

"Have you been getting enough sleep?" He asked as he began wrapping her wrist. She pursed her lips.

"Not really. I just haven't been able to sleep." She responded. Clint shook his head.

"Ok, well make sure to go to sleep early tonight, got it? Your body is already drowsy from hitting your head and also from hitting it on the ground pretty hard might I add." Clint told her. She nodded.

"Ok. I'll try to sleep early tonight." She promised. Clint clicked his tongue and nodded. He tapped her leg with her injured ankle lightly, silently telling her to lift it onto the bed. She did as told and Clint began treated her ankle wound.

Once the boy was done patching her up, Katherine was out the door and back in the kitchen. The brunette washed her hands and began with stock. Once she was done, her Frypan just messed around in the kitchen and talked.

Fry also shared stories from a long time ago and all the funny things that happened to him and just around the Glade. His stories managed to take the girl's mind off of what Ryan said to her and the banishment.

Frypan and Katherine began cooking lunch and Katherine got all the plates lined up with a cup filled with forks and knives. The dark-skinned boy cooked the food and Katina put the food on the plates. They managed to finish just in time as the gladers piled into the kitchen and grabbed the first plate they could get to.

Katherine and Fry got their own lunch once all the boys got their own. They just decided to eat in the kitchen together and continued to mess around. One by one the gladers gave their plates and forks to the two cooks.

The girl began to scrub the dishes as Fry dried them and put them away in their proper spots. Newt hung around for a bit and hung out with the two before he had to go back to work in the gardens.

"Ok, but seriously. What is up with you and Minho. I need to know." Fry rolled his eyes dramatically. Katherine giggled as her face flushed.

"Nothing. There is nothing going on between us." She answered. She was trying to convince Frypan and herself. There was nothing going on between them, right? She didn't know. In fact, Katherine didn't know Minho all that well at all.

"That is complete klunk. There is definitely something there. He's always glancing at you and he didn't leave your side when you got hurt and were in homestead sleeping." Frypan rolled his eyes taking a sip of his water.

"Hey, you asked, I answered." She raised her hands in defensive. Fry scoffed and chuckled. Katherine thought about what he was saying and realized, she recognized Minho. And not just from seeing him the Glade almost every day. It was like an itch in her brain as if she had known him a lot longer than she remembered. "Actually, there's something else..." She trailed off and looked over to now standing straight up Frypan who looked incredibly interested and eager to hear what she had to say about the runner.

"Well, what is it?" The boy was practically jumping up and down in excitement waiting for the brunette to explain.

"Well, I feel like I know him from somewhere. Like it's an itch in my brain. It just feels like... Like I've known him longer than what I can remember. I can't explain it." She shook her head and took a swig from her own water.

"Hm. That is interesting. Maybe you two were close before he was sent to the maze?" Frypan suggested, genuinely curious just as much as Katherine.

"Maybe." Katherine hummed. She sighed before continuing. "But, we'll never know unless we get our memories back." She pushed herself off the counter and finished the last of her water before going to going to try and sleep.