Fifteen | 💋

"If fear is the great enemy of intimacy, love is its true friend."

- Henri Nouwen

"Do you want to hang out?"

I heard the words, but I couldn't think of the "correct" response.

"I thought we just did," I stated. Two thick bags gathered at my feet as I tried to get my coat on.

August smirked.

"If you think that was," August lifted his hand up, fingers acting like quotes, "hanging out, then we have a problem."

"What problem is that?"

"You're a workaholic."

I forced my laughter to go away. Instead, the vibrations stayed in my chest. My cheeks squeezed and teeth were on display.

"You think so?" I asked.

August nodded. "Uh-huh, you've been pre-diagnosed."

"By who?"

"Me."

I huffed. "We can totally believe what you say, non-doctor."

"Street smart," August replied, "That's all I'm saying."

We stood near EspressGo's front entrance. Customers walked around us. The winter breeze tickled our faces and legs. The cold seeped through my pants every time the door opened.

I laughed until August took a step forward invading my space.

I took a step back.

From filming, I realized the small touches he placed. On my knuckles. Lips. Shoulders. Calf. Feet. And one time, when he "bumped" into my side, near my stomach. The touch lingers for a second then it goes away. He didn't move. It was me every time. I was hyper aware of his presence.

The warmth stayed. I wasn't sure if the energy from his hands transferred to my body. The energy continued to stay there like what I was taught in "Applied Science" or not. Or a reaction? But what did that reaction mean? Temperature rising. Heartbeats thumping. Sweat profuse. Multiple medic diagnosis came to mind.

Heart attack. Blood clot. All seemed a stretch from the true occurrence. However, I taught myself to think the worse outcome to better prepare myself. Especially when a person's life depended on my decisions and fast paced thought process. A logical explanation for my symptoms. For now, it seemed whenever I stepped away from the close proximity, the heart beats slowed to a normal pace. This "tickling" sensation in my stomach stopped.

It was unnerving these symptoms. The more I experienced, the more I wanted to scratch and fight against it. Whatever it was. The control over my body disappeared, it took over instead.