Just a Crush?

Brie Jones was Captain of the Cheer Squad, head of the Homecoming committee and losing her mind.

With the reputation of a mega control freak, she thought people might listen to her. Unfortunately, there were people who just loved to annoy others; one of them being Nikolas Kelly. After three months of him causing trouble, Principal Kelly had the great idea to put her son on the Homecoming committee.

She'd tried to make this situation as easy-going as possible. He had decidedly done the opposite. From skipping meetings to painting the banners with the wrong theme. This had to be something close to her midlife-crisis because it was a crisis and she was sure she wouldn't live much longer if she had to endure more of this.

To think that she'd had a crush on him back in middle school. Totally unacceptable and if she were asked about it today, she would deny it in a heartbeat.

How this led to her being his date for Homecoming was simple; she'd come to the Kelly household to confront him. His mother had answered the door and gladly led her out to the backyard where he resided in the childhood treehouse that looked like it had grown up with him. Inside, she found Nikolas sitting on a sofa doing homework and sipping coffee.

Naturally, she found this infuriating and marched up behind him, snatching the headphones out of his ears. "Are you kidding me?" Her friends said that it was impossible to reason with him. Impossible had left her vocabulary years ago and this crisis wouldn't change that. Either he would listen or she would commit murder. "Here you are, sipping coffee while the committee has been working their asses off all week!" He certainly looked comfortable. His dark hair was slicked back and he was in a long sleeve shirt and sweets.

"Actually, this is hot chocolate and I've been doing my own work, too, y'know?" He pointed to the papers covering his desk, "Gotta keep my grades up." Snarky son-of-a-

"Fine, I'll just take up the matter with your mother, at least she'll listen to me!" She spun on her heel, moving towards the exit.

Nikolas hopped over the back of the sofa to catch at her sleeve. "Alright, maybe we can come to some sort of understanding." He tried to soothe her down but she was too angry.

"I tried that, you didn't listen!"

"I'll help the committee on one condition," his mother had already given him his last warning - if she found out he'd caused trouble he'd be off to boarding school. Thankfully, Brie had paused in her treck. "You have to be my date." After all, she was an endless source of entertainment.

She considered it for a moment and she narrowed her eyes. "You have to come to every meeting, bring donuts and repaint the banners."

"Deal," his eyes sparkled with mischief and she swore it was just a crush.