That Was Close

*NOT EDITED*

The expression I could mostly associate with Mason and I at the moment was "deer caught in the headlights." It wasn't that we did anything wrong, it was that it came off that way, and now we had to face a pretty angry Alpha. However, he hadn't paid attention to me all day, so I don't understand what his problem is.

"Alpha, I—," Mason started to say, but I had to cut him off before Axel cut off his head.

"Alpha, my leg has been killing me ever since yesterday, and I couldn't walk the entire distance. So, I asked Beta Mason if he could carry me," I lied. I didn't really want to lie to my mate. But, had he been with me, instead of discarding me to his Beta, he would have known the truth. Plus, I couldn't risk Mason telling Axel that I was acting like a total brat.

Axel glanced in my direction, almost surprised to hear my voice for the first time, and said, "You seem to be standing on it right now, and I don't see you groaning in pain. Are you lying to me, Calista?" I almost swooned as he said my name but discovered that he was using it to taunt me. I was surprised he knew my name, but maybe Alpha Jarred referred to me by my name when Axel contacted him about me. 

"Well, it is not standing on it that hurts, it is walking on it, um, yeah," I tried to reason, diverting my eyes away from him and towards my leg. Was it just me or was that totally unbelievable. Of course, it was unbelievable, you said 'yeah' at the end, idiot. Shut up, brain!

I looked back at Axel, hoping that he believed me. My lie seemed to work as he nodded his head. Why does he care anyway? He has ignored me since I got here, and now he wants to know why I have another Were's scent on me.

"Since, I just had some food, I am going to go take a shower if that is okay, Alpha," I asked. I really wanted to clean myself up. Suddenly, I felt a couple sparks disperse through my entire body; Axel had lifted me and carried me bridal style. "Wha-What are you doing, Alpha?" I stuttered.

"You said your leg was hurting you, so I figured I would carry you to the bathroom," he answered. My cheeks were colored a deep pink as he finished saying this. Obviously, I was embarrassed, especially since this is happening while Mason was watching. We started walking towards the bathroom, I assume.

"No, it is really not necessary, Alpha. I can walk."

"You would rather Mason carry you?" he said, sounding a little angry and hurt. Honestly, yes. 

I stayed silent, and didn't say what I actually wanted to.

"You seem to have easily forgiven my Beta for bringing you here." he asked, his anger rising by the second.

"He saved my life and tried to make me feel comfortable. And given everything so far, he has been way kinder to me than you," I defended, but I knew that I owed Mason my life and no matter what he did to me after that, I guess I could forgive him. That's just the kind of mentality I had when it feels like I am forever indebted to someone.

He stopped moving as I said this. I think I have just angered the big bad wolf without even trying.

"I refuse to have my supposed mate and Beta make a fool out of me," insinuating that Mason and I may have a special bond forming. 

"That is not what I meant. I was in pain, and he thought it was his duty to help me." I defended Mason again. I looked up to meet his eyes, as I was pleading with him to believe that I don't have any feelings towards his Beta.

"And, why does he think that it is his duty?" He asked, as he kept his eyes locked on mine. Oh God! I just can't win with this guy!

"Because, I am your—Because we are—You know why," I finally made out. Since when was talking so hard for me? I usually can't shut up, and somehow I can't find the right words right now. 

He stayed quiet after that, neither affirming the fact that we were mates nor negating it. He resumed his walking pace, but slightly faster this time. I assumed it was because he wanted to escape how awkward it has become between us as quickly as possible. I really wanted to talk to him about my family and going home. But, I do not think this is the best time, especially since I have already tested his temper three times today.

Soon, he led me through a room. It was beautiful and big. The color scheme was purple, almost lilac, and red wine, so I immediately knew that it was not his. It was obviously designed for a female. There were pillows on the king size bed. And beautiful draped curtains on the window. I didn't have a lot of time to appreciate the elegant room as he quickly carried me into the bathroom and then set me down on the covered toilet seat.

"Will you be okay, or would you like me to send you a helper to assist you?" He asked. I feel a little bad of making him think I was in unbearable pain, preventing me from even being able to shower on my own. But, who knows what Axel's reaction would have been if he had known the truth. After all, I still owed Mason for saving my life, and a white lie isn't going to really hurt anybody.

"No, I will be alright on my own. Thanks, Alpha." I answered. It was getting difficult for me to refer to my mate by his title, especially when he is only "Axel" in my head. But, I don't want to anger him again, he obviously has a bad temper. Also, he hasn't accepted me as his mate yet, so I can't address him like he is my mate, even though I really wanted to.

He looked at me, about to say something, but then turned around and closed the door behind him as he left. I took this as my cue to undress and take the bath I have been dying to take.  

Please comment, share, and vote. It helps support my story!