30

In the end, you gave in.

As you stroll through the vegetable section, every now and then the cart keeps hitting you.

You chose to brush it off as just an accident.

But when that doesn't stop, you decide to confront to person who insisted on pushing it. "Can you stop doing that?"

He feigns ignorance, tilting his head to the side. "Stop doing what?"

"This." You motion the cart back and forth to prove a point. "Just stop it."

"Well if someone wasn't spending so much time ogling. We'd be done by now."

"Have you met my mother? She'd have us both back here."

That's enough to shut him up because he knows you're right. In one way or another, your mothers aren't all that different.

Thirty minutes later, Jungkook parks his motorcycle and helps you bring the groceries inside.

As you step in, a mouth watering smell hits you.

You can hear pots clanking from the kitchen.

"Hi there, honey." Mom gives Jungkook a hug. "Thanks for helping out Y/n. I hope she didn't give you a hard time."

Quite the opposite actually.

Mom claps her hands and unties the knot of her apron.  "Great. Since you're both here, you can give me a hand. Jungkook, go mix the soup and Y/n, start peeling the potatoes. When you're done put them in the pot. I'll be right back."

What?

"Wait-"

Not even a minute later and you hear the front door closing shut.

"You heard what she said." Jungkook easily retrieves a knife, and goes behind you. Basically trapping you between him and the counter, he sets the knife there and whispers. "Start chopping."

With a sigh, you set the knife aside and search for the peeler. Maybe if you imagine Jungkook as the potato, it'll help you forget you're in this predicament with him.

No.

The mere thought of skinning Jungkook's too gore for you. You clear your head of the thought.

"I heard you broke up with Kira."

"Hmm." He hums ever so casually.

"Why? She too hot for you?"

"Maybe."

Why are you even trying to start a conversation. These vague answers clearly are a sign for you to shut up.

"And here I thought you found someone else."

Bite your tongue and stop talking.

Silence reigns king as you finish peeling the last one. After chopping them up into cubes, you do as your mother instructed. You empty the potatoes from the cutting board into the boiling pot and watch it simmer. Jungkook uses the wooden spoon to stir before lowering the heat.

"You can go home if you want." You tell him as you grab something to cover the pot. "I can take it from here."

"Okay." He grabs his phone from the counter and leaves without saying another word.

You release a sigh you didn't know you were holding.

He's been oddly silent the whole time. Normally a fight would break if you two were left alone.

This is new.

You've gotten so used to him not listening to you that this new behavior feels like the calm before the storm.