Viktor: House on Emberflit Alley

Viktor's third arm emitted a thin ray of light that welded metal into his left arm with steady precision. The smell of burning flesh no longer bothered him, nor did the sight of his left wrist splayed open, veins and sinewy muscle fused with mechanical augments. He did not wince. Instead, he felt a sense of achievement gazing at the seamless blend of synthetic and organic materials.

The sound of children shouting gave Viktor pause. Rarely did anyone venture down the fog-bound confines of Emberflit Alley. He had chosen this location for that very reason — he preferred not to be interrupted.

Keeping his left arm immobile, Viktor adjusted a silver dial on his iridoscope. The device contained a series of mirrored lenses that angled light to allow him full view of the street outside his laboratory.

Several children were violently shoving a malnourished boy toward Viktor's wrought iron gates.

"I doubt Naph will last a minute in there," said a girl with imitation gemstones embedded above her eyes.

"I bet he comes back with a brass head," said a boy with a shock of red hair. "Maybe then his brain won't be dull as the Gray."

"You better return with something we can sell, or we'll be the ones to give you a new head," said the largest one, grabbing the small boy by the neck and forcing him forward. The other children backed away, watching.

The young boy trembled as he approached the towering gate, which screeched as he pushed it open. He passed the front door encrusted with interlocking gears and shimmied through an open window. An alarm blared as he fell to the floor.

Viktor sighed and pressed a switch that quieted the ringing.

The skinny boy stared at his new environment. Glass jars, containing organic and metal organs floating in green fluid, lined the walls. A leather gurney stained with blood, upon which lay a mechanized drill, sat in the center of the chamber. Dozens of automatons stood motionless against every wall. To Viktor, his laboratory was a sanctuary for his most creative and vital experiments, but he could imagine it might seem frightening to a child.

The boy's eyes widened in shock when he saw Viktor at his workbench, arm splayed open on the table. He ducked behind a nearby crate.

"You will not learn anything from that box, child," said Viktor. "But on top of it, you will find a bone chisel. Hand it to me, please."

A trembling hand reached to the top of the crate and grasped the handle of the rusted metal tool. The chisel slid across the floor to Viktor, who picked it up.

"Thank you," said Viktor, who wiped off the instrument and continued work on his arm.

Viktor heard the boy's rapid breathing.

"I am replacing the twisting flexor tendons — ahem, the broken mechanism in my wrist," Viktor said, reaching into his arm to adjust a bolt. "Would you like to watch?"

The boy peeked his head around the crate.

"Doesn't it hurt?" said the boy.

"No," said Viktor. "When one eliminates the anticipation and fear of pain, it becomes entirely bearable."

"Oh."

"It also helps that my arm is almost completely mechanized. See for yourself."

The boy stepped away from the crate and sat across from Viktor without a word, eyes fixed on his arm.

Viktor resumed welding a new boltdrive onto the tendons beneath his skin. When he had finished, he sealed the flaps of dermis onto his arm. He drew the beam of light across the seam, cauterizing his flesh and fusing the incision.