Chapter 5

Christopher's POV

I woke up to the feeling of soft sheets and the morning light trickling in through the blinds. I kept my eyes closed as I basked in the warmth of my covers before finally opening them to the brightness of the sun. As I started to make plans for getting up and going to my office, a mysterious arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me closer. My body stiffened as I felt another person's bare skin against mine, only then realizing that I too was unclothed under the blanket.

"Stay" She purred, attempting to sound seductive. However, instead of seducing me, her attempts only fuelled my anger.

'Who the hell is she?' I pondered silently.

Then the memories of last night came flooding back. She was just another meaningless fling, a one-night stand to distract me from my thoughts. I often sought out these encounters, using them as a temporary escape. Except this time, I had crossed a line by bringing her into my mansion, where I valued my privacy above all else. I've never done that before! 'No slut is allowed in my house' These are the rules I strictly abide by. The ghost of my past mistake haunted my thoughts—How could I be so reckless?

Usually, I would use one of my fancy hotels for these gold diggers–well most of them I came across were trying to trap me with their schemes, despite my clear intentions. But last night, fuelled by alcohol, I lost control and ended up with an unwanted woman in my bed and a hangover hammering at my skull 'Never do that again Chris!,' I vowed, my anger simmering. To make matters worse, this stupid woman had the audacity to give me commands in my own home. Did she not realise who I was?

I sprang out of bed, my eyes blazing with anger. The recurring thought that I couldn't shake was, 'How could I have been so foolish to let a woman into my home?' My house, my mind, my heart, and my soul were all strictly off-limits to women. I swore to never let anyone in. Never again! The devastation caused by a mistake like this was still fresh in my memory, a reminder of the struggle it brought upon my family.

"Chris, please come back to bed," her voice pierced the early morning silence. "It's only 6 am. We still have an hour left to have some fun together," She winked mischievously, trying to entice me. Her audacity, speaking without my consent, initiated my anger. I turned around to face her, giving her my infamous death glare as a warning. She flinched, sensing the untamed beast within me. Fear flickered in her eyes.

Her light brown hair mirrored the girl from yesterday—the new, utterly useless personal assistant that I begrudgingly hired. Why did she consume my thoughts ever since I saw her? I should loathe her for humiliating me in front of my employees, yet I still offered her a job. Why did I make such an irrational decision?

People never dared to meet my gaze when I spoke, but there she was —the pathetic woman who dared to insult Christopher Knight. I held immense power and people trembled at the thought of crossing me. My initial intention was to crush her, as I'd vowed in the lobby. Yet, I made the mistake of offering her a job. 'Way to go! Chris,' I scolded myself inwardly.

Why her? The question echoed constantly in my mind. Why did I choose her out of all the qualified and deserving applicants? It seemed like something had possessed me to hire an inexperienced girl with incomplete qualifications to help run my billion-dollar empire. These same thoughts consumed me last night, and I tried to drown them out with alcohol, but now they were back in full force and the answer continued to elude me.

Usually, candidates receive job offers or rejection emails after a few days. But there she was, leaving my office with a job as I couldn't resist offering her the position on the spot. Even though this woman had insulted me in front of my employees. What was wrong with me? I regretted my decision as soon as the words left my mouth, But it was too late to take them back.