Chapter 22b

"But then we really would be monsters." Minocken had an expression on his face I'd never seen before. Like maybe he'd just realized something huge. Something life-changing. He faced Niralessa. "I'm already monstrous on the outside. Corin always told me what's inside is what matters most." The club fell out of his limp hand and clunked into the dust. "I don't want to be a monster on the inside."

Niralessa's eyes closed and she exhaled, grief etched in her features. She rubbed her eyes with her free hand. "Corin . . ." she whispered.

It was heartbreaking to watch. I thought about hugging her, but she still had a firm grip on that knife.

Fen and Minocken exchanged a look of understanding.

Minocken moved first, gently grasping Niralessa's wrist. "We shouldn't do this, Ma," he whispered. "We're not bad people."

Fen slowly reached out to ease the knife from her hand, but she wrenched away from them both. Her eyes flashed. "I don't need to be told what kind of person I am!" She glared at the two brothers, then shifted her scrutiny to Meresh.

The chieftain did not flinch, even as she leaned in to stare intently into his eyes.

The moment felt so tense, a single word could have shattered it. I held my breath, fighting off images of Niralessa plunging her knife deep into his chest.

Her gaze flicked to my face, and I saw the uncertainty there. "I suppose you're siding against me too."

I shook my head. "I don't see sides here. Just people wanting to live a happy life."

"Tell that to Corin." Her voice had lost its venom, and she sounded tired. "I have to show people they can't bully us. I can't think of a better way to demonstrate that than to kill a tribal chieftain." She looked out toward the Zurbo compound. "Or an entire tribe."

Meresh did his best to remain calm and courageous, but sweat trickled down his temple.

Niralessa suddenly straightened and peered over my shoulder. I turned around to find Tessia locking eyes with her, still seated, but expression resolute.

What were they saying to each other?

Tessia, what's going on?

She didn't reply.

The world seemed to hold its breath while these two had their silent conversation, until Tessia's stormy eyes finally dimmed, and she sagged a little.

That was a bad sign.

To my surprise, Niralessa tucked her knife back into her belt and turned her attention back to Meresh. "A lot of people seem to think very highly of you." She took a step back. "I suppose you'll do more good alive than dead."

With that, she turned and walked away. Her people parted to let her pass, confusion on their faces.

Minocken picked up his club and faced Fen. "You coming?"

"Um . . ." He looked at me, torn about what he was supposed to do.

Minocken shook his head and addressed me. "Keep this guy out of trouble, all right?"

"Who's going to keep me out of trouble?" I shot back.

"You're both doomed." He shook his head again, but couldn't repress a smile. He gave Fen's arm a light punch. "Don't be a stranger."

Fen nodded and nudged his fist to Minocken's shoulder. If I were to guess, I'd say it was the manly way to say 'I love you.'

We watched Minocken trail behind his people as they left. That's when I noticed Tessia trudging past to join them.

"Wait, where are you going?" I asked.

She gave me a sad look. I told Niralessa I would return with her.

"But why? I thought you wanted to leave?"

Her eyes were heavy rain clouds. I convinced her that sparing Meresh and this tribe would have a positive effect on all the Plainsmen. That it could work in our favor, make them think better of us. She paused to watch as the Zurbos got to their feet and began hugging each other with relief. I told her I was sure of this, because I could sense their changing opinions. They started shifting when Fen and I sat with them in unity against our own family.

I nodded. "Okay, that's great. But why does that mean you have to leave?"

She sighed heavily. She said I was too valuable to leave behind. That I need to help her in future dealings with other people. Her shoulders slumped. I'm her key to knowing what everyone around her is thinking at all times.

"But that's not right!"

"What's not right?" Fen asked, tired of waiting to be clued in.

"Niralessa wants Tessia to go back with them, so she can use her as a spy."

Fen frowned. "That's just wrong. She can't make you go."

She agreed to leave everyone here alone if I went with her.

"What?" I shook with anger. "Fen, she said—"

"Yeah, she just told me." His expression went dark. "I can't believe she would—" He growled and scrubbed his face with both hands. "Yes, I can." He gripped both of Tessia's shoulders. "You don't have to go."

She gazed at him steadily before looking away.

"She doesn't want anyone to die just because she didn't want to go," he informed me.

I exhaled with exasperation. "What can we do?"

He gave me a pained look.

I knew the answer before he even said the words. "You can't let her go back alone."

He took my hands in both of his. "Come with me."

I forced a smile onto my face. "As if you had any chance of keeping me away."

It's hard to know if cheering is appropriate here, so let's just vote instead.