Gus the three-eyed orange kitten

I found Gus in the dumpster at work. He was this giant ball of matted orange fur. My heart melted. He was shivering and clearly needed some TLC. How could I say no to the sweet little thing? He had no collar indicating his name, but somehow I knew it was Gus. I lifted him out of the trash and put him inside my jacket. I decided to ditch work and drive him to a vet right away.

It’s actually good I did. Some psycho with a gun shot up the place ten minutes after I left. Everyone died.

So sad.

I thought Gus was a full grown cat because of the amount of fur he had but in reality he was only a baby. The vet shaved off his gross parts to reveal a little orange kitten with bright green eyes. Gus rubbed his face on my arm. I scooped him up. He was obviously coming home with me. We were connected.

The vet gave him a clean bill of health. Before heading back to my place we stopped at the store for some supplies. I got out of the vet’s office just in time apparently, because the doctor went nuts on his next patient and ripped the throat out of a little poodle with his teeth.

I got home with Gus and set up all his new stuff. He chirped happily. We settled down on the couch, Gus purring in my arms. A sound came from the hall outside my apartment. Gus jumped in surprise and for the first time he opened his third eye. It was located on his forehead. When it was closed it was unnoticable. But when it opened the iris blazed a brilliant purple. Although it was unexpected, I quickly got used to the third eye. It didn’t change how adorable he was.

I bent down to pick up a toy for him and just missed being hit in the head by a fallen book. I snuggled Gus a little closer, freaked out.

These weird close calls happened multiple times after I got Gus. I almost got hit by a bus, almost broke my leg, and almost crashed my bike. If I wasn’t paying enough attention to Gus I was in for a near death experience. Life was pretty stressful. I didn’t connect it to the kitten until my sister visited.

She was worried about me even though I told her I was fine. I didn’t want her over because she hated cats. Despite my request to leave me alone she barged into my apartment. The first thing she saw was Gus rolling over on the carpet. He was so cute. She frowned.

I sighed. “Come on Karen, look at how cute he is!”

“I just see allergies and fleas.” She sidestepped him and walked towards the kitchen. Probably to bug me about how much beer I had in the fridge.

Gus’s third eye opened and suddenly Karen was still, her body twitching awkwardly.

“Are you okay?” I reached for her but she suddenly sprinted to the knife block, grabbing the largest blade and stabbing herself through the eye.

I screamed as my sister fell to the ground, bleeding. She no longer twitched. Her breath was gone. Gus meowed and sauntered onto my lap. My jaw hung open as I pet him, realizing slowly that Gus was much more than I thought.

As soon as the police arrived I tried to explain the situation (excluding the whole ‘Gus killed her’ part). They didn’t believe that she stabbed herself and wanted me to come into the station. Gus climbed to the top of the couch and began to purr rhythmically. The cops all smiled., They said that I was clearly not guilty and that they had made a mistake.

When they were gone I turned to Gus, who looked at me with all three eyes.

"So, what...you’re evil?”

He licked his paw.

“I mean, I’m not complaining. I couldn’t stand my sister. In fact, I have a few other family members I’d like to see stabbed.”

He twirled in a little circle and turned into a loaf.

“But you’ve got to stop almost killing me, okay? We’re a team. We’re in this together. Got it?”

Just like I somehow knew his name, I now knew that he understood me. I smiled and gave him a kiss.

You know those ‘who saved who’ bumper stickers? Well, we are the true definition of that. I love my little orange boy, and he loves me. And nothing - NOTHING - will keep us apart.