Jeremy

Hey, I'm Jeremy. You're probably wondering where Rae is and Hell I would be too. Well, you're looking at him. If you read what the story is about you probably are like, FRICK I THOUGHT RAE WAS A FEMALE...Wellllll you would be half right I was born a female and now I am male. You may also be thinking Rae HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!??!  I can't tell you because I failed science. Something in my head and heart feels like BOY it screams BOY but sometimes it also screams GIRL. I think there is something wrong with me like something psychological...

I sigh and throw on my headphones, jamming out to Wrabel I see my outfit in the school bathroom mirror. A button-up, grey cargo shorts, and the shortest hair I've ever had. I walk out of the bathroom confident and ready to take on anything. I always feel this way when I dress like this. I look around and down the hall, I see my best friend Green. She smiles at me and walks past. I smile and wave like a naive child. I then continue my walk down the hall to my locker.  I hadn't even noticed Tyler standing there near my locker. He took one look at me cackled and left. I took off my headphones and placed them around my neck. I raised an eyebrow and walked to my locker unlocking it. As I unlocked it a note fell out.  I smiled thinking Green was being a good friend and writing me a little note, but a sick feeling came to my stomach as I remembered Tyler was just here. My shaking hands unfolded the note and read it. I choke back a sob. "You'll never be one of the boys or even girls for that matter" I ripped the note up and threw it in the trash across the hall and slammed my locker shut. I stomped off to class, red eyes and all. God, people probably think I'm stoned or something that's how red and burned my eyes felt. I sigh and slide into my seat. Snickers come from behind me and I turn only to see Toni and Tyler laughing their butts off. Awesome.

"Seriously what is YOUR  problem?"  I shout loudly only to make them howl louder with laughter. "Oh, Hey Rae didn't see you there, did ya like the little message we gave you? It's from the whole school, P.S. We all think you're secretly a lesbian, but NOT the hot kind"  He sneers. "Ha. very funny Tyler. I am not a lesbian, I-.....I'm bisexual...." I mumble. They only laugh louder at that. "Oh believe me you've made that very crystal QUEER" Now the whole class erupts in laughter. My face flushes from embarrassment. "Look I um- just shut up...please" I stumble over my words trying to find a comeback. "Is that seriously all you've got? Not only are you a fag, but you're also MENTALLY RETARDED."  

That's IT. I can't take this kid anymore. I swing a fist as hard as I can connecting with the first thing I can: His face. He stumbles back and by now the whole class was watching and cheering both of us on. I stomp out into the hallway and kick a locker denting it. Damn, cheap lockers. I walk down the hall to the principal's office to see HIM already there playing the victim card. He was in tears blubbering and a mess. I growl. The principal notices me and beckons me to come in. I hesitate and then bolt out the door and out of the school. My home wasn't too far from Norwalk High School, but my parents would definitely be notified. 

I get home and sigh. My grandma in the living room. I shut the door quietly so she wouldn't hear me come in and I sneak up the stairs. I lay in my bed and think about everything that happened within the last hour. I look around and see my old backpack laying in the corner. I walk over to it and pick it up. That's when an idea form in my head. What if I didn't have to deal with my parents? Maybe I shouldn't even be here when they get home. I pack some clothes and necessities, that I would need to 'survive'. I then tiptoed down the stairs and out the door quietly. Ah yes, a 'free man' I thought to myself. I walked down the road and smiled proud of myself.

ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF LATER

I walk up to a young lady and smile politely asking if I could catch a ride with her and her son (who looked about 30) she smiled and said: "Of course honey!!" her son on the other hand glared and said something along the lines of "Going to see your boyfriend? Cause if you are you better watch out we WILL NOT be giving a ride to people like that" My face turned red once again and my hand's sweat. "I don't have a boyfriend, o-or a girlfriend for that matter and I am not going to see anybody" I stutter out and hop in the backseat. About a mile down the road he looks back at me and glares an icy glare once again. Now he is yelling nothing scares me more than yelling. "IF YOU'RE GOING TO SEE YOU'RE BOYFRIEND YOU BETTER BELIEVE  I WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT IT" I began to cry and then out of fear I shout back "IM NOT GOING TO SEE ANYONE, LET ME OUT PLEASE, IM NOT GOING TO SIT AND BE YELLED AT AND TAKE IT"  The lady pulls over instantly and lets me out. I get out as fast as possible and run as fast as I can away from the car. I look around and realize I am in a Fareway grocery store parking lot about a mile from my house. I only now realize what I've done and that I need to get home.  I run over to the nearest person and Oh god, its a mom and a girl from school. I take a shaky breath and walk up to them, I smile but tears form in my eyes. "Excuse me...can I um call someone...I've run away from home and I don't have a phone." The mother looks at me and smiles sweetly but I can see a hint of sadness in the smile. "Of course honey, what's your name?" "Rae.." I say slowly. She dials a number on her phone and walks a few feet away. I glance over at her daughter and then look away she knows me and recognizes me, we stay in silence. After a few minutes, her mother comes back and smiles again "The police will be here in a few minutes. Your parents really want you to be home." I look up at her wide-eyed. "They KNOW?!??!" I shout loud enough to make people stop and stare. "Yes they know sweetie" she speaks calmly and quietly. 

After what feels like forever the police come and ask me a few personal questions, they then ask me to hop in the back of the squad car. As I'm sitting there it dawns on me just how much I messed up. I instantly wish I was dead. The officer drive me home and as he drives I say "I am better off dead than dealing with this situation" He looks at me with pity and says "Be careful what you say I am a mandatory reporter and I have to tell your parents that you are feeling that way" I sigh as we pull up to my house, parents waiting out in the front yard tears streaked my mothers face. The officer and my parents talk awhile while I wait to get out. Finally, I get to get out. My dad takes my backpack and my mom dries her eyes, looks at me and declares "We are going to the hospital" I look at the officer he smiles sympathetically and says "Good luck" before getting in the squad car and leaving. I am confused and then it dawns on me...I told the officer I want to die and they take those things very seriously. I wish I knew what lay ahead of me because if I did I would've never punched Tyler in the first place.