Chapter 9

"I can't believe you've never tried Hershey chocolate! It's only like the best chocolate out there."

I pulled the glossy red lid off the heart-shaped tin of chocolate Matt had sneakily stowed in the bottom of my duffle bag. The inside was lined with neat chocolate squares some with white chocolate drizzled across the top others with clusters of nuts. My mouth watered at the sight. I'm definitely a chocolate junkie.

"Which one do you want?" I asked Bubba who was sitting on the floor across from me.

His dark eyes scanned the assortment of different chocolates in the box between us and landed on a dark chocolate truffle.

"Good choice, " I said, handing him his piece and picking out one for myself; a milk chocolate square with silky caramel inside.

He popped the candy into his mouth and happy "Mmm" noises instantly escaped his lips as he chewed. "Good," he signed, "More"

Thrusting his hand into the box he grabbed at least 4 more pieces and shoved them all into his mouth at once, cramming his cheeks full like a chipmunk. Melted chocolate seeped through the corners of his lips and I couldn't help but laugh as I watched him struggle to swallow it all down.

"What are y'all up too?" Loretta's voice chimed out from behind us making me nearly jump out of my skin.

Whipping around, I found her standing at the foot of the steps with a stack of neatly folded clothes in her arms.

" Oh, we weren't doing anything." I climbed to my feet and snatched the box of chocolates away from Bubba who had already devoured more than half of them.

"Would you like some chocolate?" I asked, holding the tin out to her.

Loretta eyed me skeptically and I gave her a friendly smile to let her know it was alright. She looked them over before plucking one from its spot.

"Loretta, I want to apologize for last ni- "

"Don't worry 'bout it, dear." she cut me off with a dismissive wave of her hand. "I don't blame ya, I know how our ways must seem to you outsiders, but in time you'll see that we ain't bad folks."

"Oh, I don't think you're...bad folks."

"Good! I'm glad, and now that that's outta the way," she held out the stack of clothes, "These are fer you."

"For me?" I handed Bubba back the tin which he gladly accepted then took the clothes from her arms.

"Mhm, these were mine when I was yer age and ya look to be about the same size I was."

"That's really thoughtful of you, Ma'am. Thank you!"

"Well, it's either give 'em to you or let 'em sit in the back of my closet collectin' dust. I know yer gonna look beautiful in these, more than I ever did." She brushed my tangley hair over my shoulder away of my face then turned to her son devouring the last of my chocolate. "Yer brother and I are going to town. We'll be back in an hour or so. You be good while I'm gone and watch the house, okay? "

He nodded absent-mindedly while shoveling chocolate into his mouth.

"And no more of them sweets, boy. You'll spoil yer appetite!" she snapped.

Bubba huffed, dropping his half-melted handful of chocolate back into the tin and tossing it on the table behind him. He walked his mother up the stairs and closed the door behind him. I took a seat at the foot of the stairs and waited for him to return, not daring to venture up by myself and possibly make him lose his trust in me again.

After some time, I heard the door open and he reappeared in the doorway motioning for me to follow. I did as he asked and followed him through the foyer into the living room.