8. Escape or...

☆ Dedicated to   LadySapphire2018  and her story "Primal Fortune" a howling good werewolf tail for the ONC 2019 ☆

Georg could hear crashing behind them as the intruders tore apart the camp, searching for the skies knew what, but the noise gave them cover to run as fast as they could through the forest. Belus' twin moons were barely past the crescent phase but they cast enough light to show them the path, or at least the general direction of it.

He knew they couldn't stay on the path forever, but he wanted them to get as far away as possible before they fought their way into the wilderness. He guessed they'd run maybe half a kay before Rik came to a stumbling halt, rubbing his calf and swearing.

"What's the matter?" Georg whispered, his voice high with anxiety. Rik's face was taut with pain. He tried to smile.

"I think I've torn a muscle. You keep going, Georg, I'll follow as best I can."

"But-"

"Don't argue! Just go! Get help, if you can."

Georg shifted uneasily from one foot to the other. How could he leave Rik?

"Go!" repeated Rik. "I'll be fine. Go now! I'm counting on you."

It was the last phrase which did it. Rik was counting on him. Georg turned and fled down the path.

Rik tried to keep walking fast but the pain was excruciating. He limped along as best he could, eyes searching desperately for a place to get off the track and hide.

Then he heard the sound of running feet, coming up fast behind him. The men hadn't been after something in the camp after all, they were looking for him, or Georg. Life-threatening or not, it was time to call for help. With heart pounding and irritatingly clumsy fingers, he activated his wrist com to produce a faint glow and sought for the emergency key. There!

Arms grabbed him roughly from behind and tore the wristcom off his wrist. His assailant flung it as far as he could into the forest. Rik wasn't sure if the signal had gone through or not, but he hoped it had.

"Where's the other boy?" His assailant shook him, demanding an answer. Rik kept his mouth shut.

A second man appeared behind the first and shone a bright light into the forest around them, searching for Georg.

"Where is he?" repeated the man holding Rik, then back-handed him across the mouth.

"I don't know," said Rik, spitting out blood. "We split up. I've called the EMRU," he added defiantly. "So you might as well give up now."

The two men exchanged glances.

"We need to get back."

"Kam won't be happy, but at least we've got one of them. That will have to do."

"Let's get moving," said the man holding Rik. He spun around, dragging the boy behind him.

"I can't walk," panted Rik. "I've torn a muscle in my leg. You'll have to leave me here," he added hopefully.

"You're a right little pain in the arse, aren't you?" said the taller of the two men. He hoisted Rik up over his shoulder and strode off. His companion shone the light on the ground ahead and all too soon they were back at the campsite.

The man carrying Rik went straight up to the two men waiting for their return.

"Kam? We should go. The boy says he sent a distress signal. I tossed his 'com into the forest but it's only half a kay from here."

"Fuck! Where's the other one?"

"Gone. We didn't want to hang around once we knew about the signal," answered the tall man matter-of-factly.

"Right. You can put him down now, Andre."

"He's hurt his leg and can't walk. One of us will have to carry him."

"Fuck!" repeated Kam, running an agitated hand through his hair. "That's all we need. Lu, grab the box of 'coms will you? We'll toss them in the nearest ravine."

He cast a quick look around, checking they'd left nothing behind. "Okay, let's go, we're done here."

"Hang on!" called Patrick from the shadows. "What do you want with Rik? Is it ransom?" He hoped it was. Ransom these days tended to be a bloodless affair, almost a commercial transaction.

Patrick thought one of the intruders froze for a moment. It was the one who'd been out hunting Rik and Georg with the tall man, Andre.

"None of your business," retorted Kam. "Hal? Bring the light over here for a moment, I might as well check everyone's still secure."

Slowly, almost reluctantly it seemed to Patrick, the other man came toward them with the light. Then Patrick saw his face and the world stopped.

Patrick thought he saw a flash of regret in his eyes, even as the other man drew his stunner and fired. Then he knew nothing.

"Sorry, Kam," said Harlan. "He knows me. We'll have to take him with us."

Word Count 8070

(Author's Note - I've reached the second milestone, 8K words  with this chapter. Apologies if it's a little rushed but I couldn't resist posting. There will be a (hopefully) short break now while I figure out what's going to happen next! Will Harlan be a hero or a villain in this piece?)