12

"Riley! Come back!" The boy ran among the tall grass, chasing the wisp of red hair speeding across the summer afternoon.

"Nuh-uh!" She called back to the guy with auburn hair, a grin widely splattered on her face. The afternoon of a summer vacation with the guy you adore; every eleven-year-old's dream.

The redhead forged through the long, golden grass as her laugh rang through the afternoon. Yes, it was only a small stretch of grass, infested with insects, but Riley liked it; the sun gleamed off the gold in a vibrance unmatched.

She began to sprint faster; she was going to play hard to get. Literally. Her surroundings morphed into one golden wall as her hair became one with the wind. She was unstoppable...

That is, until the dark-haired boy suddenly materialized from her left, knocking both of them over. Momentum made them tumble to the dry, yet soft Earth. The boy was on top of her; his brown eyes gleaming with excitement. "Caught you!" He said, a sloppy grin on his face. They both began laughing. It wasn't the dignified kind; it was in fact, reminiscent to that found in bars during Christmas Eve, but it was a pure laugh, they're joy filling the afternoon.

The scene soon morphed. Now it was an apartment complex, dark and grey, a few years later. A group of teens were in the parking lot; most leaving directly for the exit, some just loitering around.

"Ew, get off me!" The redhead exclaimed. The dark-haired boy just threw his head back in laughter.

"This isn't funny Jonathan!" The redhead was visibly annoyed. "Help me get this thing off of me!"

This 'thing' in question was a stray dog. Ever since the moment the dog had laid eyes on Riley, it hadn't left her, wagging its tail, lick her hands and playfully jumping on her.

"Looks like somebody's comfy." The dark-haired boy replied, then began whistling. The dog got off of Riley.

"You could have done that earlier!" Riley said as she walked towards the taps.

"Was expecting a 'Thank you'." the dark-haired guy said rather distractedly; the dog had gained a new interest. "But I'll take what I get." He looked up to Riley with a grin before winking.

Riley blushed, "Thanks, I guess..."

"You're welcome, Peri-Peri."

Riley feigned irritation. "Why do you keep calling me that?"

"Because," he continued while throwing a rock for the dog to fetch, "you're fiery when you're irritated and you're hot."

Riley didn't know about being hot, but she was turning as red as the chilly.

"Hey, race you to the gate?" He asked with a grin; the dog had found an old lady to play with.

"Really? We're sixteen."

"Well, you only grow old once you stop playing!" He said, before beginning to sprint.

Riley couldn't help but smile as she chased after him.