Meanwhile... Part 1

Chapter 32

Scarlett

The car bolts past trees with the glare of oncoming cars blinding against the darkness. A heavy silence hangs and it holds comfort but neither of us knows why. We are strangers yet didn't need to fill the silence. We don't ask stupid questions or get stupid answers.

It has also calmed my anger. Because fuck if I'm not pissed to all hell. I came up here to save Blaze White's ass and what does she do? How does she repay me? She kicks me out and ships me off to some safe house.

I brush off that thought and try to focus on the car ride.

A low hum of music and the soft sounds of even breathing in the back tell us our company is fast asleep against each other. Feeling bud eyes on me again, as it has been the whole drive I immediately meet his gaze.

Mason's warm chocolate eyes are watching me before bouncing back to the road as he drives alone. This is the third time in an hour I've caught him.

"Can I help you?" My voice showing annoyance. Tolerance has never been a strong suit of mine, and I can't help the pissed off bitchy attitude that is spreading through me like wildfire.

A wicked smile crosses his lips, "I've been thinking," he begins trailing off to figure out how to phrase it.

"I can tell. I've been hearin' the wheels turning in your head."

My comment only makes him smile more. Showing off white teeth and a single dimple on his left cheek. I immediately look away refusing to become trapped in his charm.

"You don't like us, do you?" He asks cautiously and I keep my eyes glued to the road ahead.

"Why would you say that?" I ask instead of answering my nails tapping against the leather clad door.

"You're pissed," he announces. My nails now dig into the door.

"What of it?"

He shrugs, "thought maybe I could help."

"You help?" I didn't mean for it to sound so insensitive. But the dry humorless laugh that bubbles up within me is enough to make his head turn back towards me seemingly surprised.

"It was just an offer," he says with a hint of anger under his casual demeanor.

"Well consider it declined," I mumble into the window.

He doesn't wait long before continuing, "I think you have the wrong impression of me," he says and I feel his gaze bouncing between me and the road.

"I really don't think I'm wrong," I counter because it's true.

Mason Hayes is as obvious as they come, an open book. The good guy at heart but would rather make a joke then get serious. Mason Hayes is a lover, not a fighter and knows how to make people love him. I bet he's got money too, probably the typical issues a rich home brings, his mom and dad never gave him enough attention and he resents the life money gave him. He hides his hurt well but he probably hasn't spoken to his family in a while whether because they disowned him or because he left of his own choice I don't know.

Bottom line: Mason Hayes is the type of man that will make me think twice. That would make me drop the bitch act because he interests me, and challenges me. So, therefore, he is the enemy. That is what sparks my brutal and uncalled for the answer.