The Trap is Set

"You know what. This burger's proper good."

You could only form a nod with your mouth full of delicious food from the Hereford cafeteria. The base seemed nice enough, maybe a little small but full of what seemed to be kind and accepting people. And that's what really matters. It reminds you of the time...

"Mate I am taking you to the doctor there is something wrong with you," said Mark, that concerned look from the train on his face as he finished his burger. "There's gotta be some sort of medic around here. Come on." He stood up from the stool he was sitting on, beckoning you to follow.

"I'm fine Mute. There's nothing wrong it's just I've never been..."

Mark ignored you, grabbed your arm and started to walk briskly to the room labeled Infirmary, earning you stares from the other operators sitting in the cafeteria. He swung the door open in a dramatic fashion and pretty much threw you in, making you lose your balance and stumble. "Have fun!" shouted Mark in a sarcastic tone before closing the door gently.

You looked around the room. It looked like pretty normal place, aside from the huge white mass of beeping and whirring technology in one corner that was way out of your understanding. There was a man with some great forearms sitting quietly in one corner of the room working on what appeared to be some sort of stim-injection pistol. He had a GIGN patch on his casual clothes so you presumed he was French. You coughed and he didn't look up.

"M-mon ami?" you stuttered, using the very little French you knew.

He looked up, then smiled warmly. "Ah, you must be one of the new recruits." He put down his tools and shook your hand with vigour. "Bonjour, my name is Gustav but I insist you call me Gus. It helps make things a little less, how do say it, formal."

Then his face turned to a more serious, maybe worrying look. "Why are you in my office? Is there something I should check for?" Gus put his hand out to feel your temperature but you carefully pushed it away. "Sorry to bother you b-but do you know where Si-Six's office is?" you asked, cursing under breath at your stupid stutter.

"It's just opposite from mine. I hope you will find Team Rainbow a good fit for your skill set." Gus waved at you as you left.

"So how did your little 'check-up' go?" jeered Mark, as he walked with you to a door with a letter six on the door handle.

"I hate you sometimes," you muttered as Mark knocked twice on the door. He grinned as a voice asked for us to come in.

And there she was. Director of Rainbow, sitting calmly with a white shirt on and her hands clasped in front of her. The room was small and minimalistic, just a table and three ordinary-looking chairs.

"Sit."

You and Mark sat down.

She brought out a what appeared to be pen and some sort of contract. "Sign here," she said, indicating a blank space at the bottom with perfectly manicured hand.

You took the fancy pen and wrote your name in the space. Mark also did the same. After he put the pen down, Six flashed you the briefest of smiles.

"Welcome to Rainbow."

***

You were awkwardly holding your bags in the middle of the dorm corridors when you saw a familiar large man.

"Seamus?"

"Laddie?" He turned around and his face lit up like a Christmas tree.

You dropped yours bags, ran up to the gentle giant and tackled him into a bear hug. You wrestled around for a bit before he fell on top of you and nearly crushed your ribs. As Seamus gave you a hand getting up you smiled, reminiscing at the memories you had made in the SAS.