Chapter 15 - They

Moonlight illuminated his bloodstained face as it glistened with sweat, determination tensing up his muscles almost like he couldn't control himself. Dark bruises swelled up what little I could see of him in the dimmed moonlight. His dark eyes held a sombre edge as he slowly edged his way around Bryce, his hand shaking as he slowly squeezed down tighter on the trigger.

I wanted to run towards him. I wanted to embrace him, tell him everything was okay, that he didn't need to do this, but something deep within me, told me not to. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be here, I would be safe in my sleeping quarters - sleeping. Yet, here he was, clear as day. Beaten and battered, but here, nonetheless.

"What did they do to you?" I found myself saying, my eyes squinting to see him better.

Matthew glanced at me as I stood rooted to the ground.

"We need to go, now!" he demanded, changing his tone as he glared with intensity at the incapacitated and recovering Bryce. "Move and you're dead."

He splayed his hands defensively, still trying to get enough air into his lungs to throw the limp Maurice off of himself. "Wasn't...trying...to."

Matthew stuck the gun further towards Bryce. "What did you do to her? If you've hurt her, you're a dead man!"

Bryce glared up at him, aghast. "I saved her life, mate."

I froze, halting any thought of advancing between the pair. There was something off about this. Wasn't Matthew supposed to be with Sergeant Hill? Did he escape? Or worse, was he released? Whatever it was, my mind was working like a clock, trying to put the pieces together, and I could feel myself sinking like I was standing in quicksand. How on earth did he find me?

"Did you not hear me? They're coming! We need to go now!" He thrust the gun at Bryce, who only panted harder. "I said, don't move!"

"Calm down!" Bryce stated, seeming to gain a little of his edge back. His eyes slid across to me, softening like clouds as we examined each other. He didn't know who Matthew was, but he knew there was some kind of unspoken bond between us.

It was written into my flesh, like a walking plaque. Matthew had been that determined teenager who knew what to do. The kind of guy who'd prop up his girl and give her the confidence she needed to achieve anything in life. Matthew was supposed to be the cuddly, free-thinking type, but something had happened to him, and now, he was maddened, and his only thought seemed to be about me.

"Put the gun down," I articulated calmly, finding the courage to take a cautious step towards him. "I don't know what happened to you, or why you're here, but you're safe now. He won't hurt you."

He glared at me before returning his intense and broken gaze back to Bryce, wildness clouding his eyes in that brief exchange. "How do I know you're telling the truth?"

"There's already one dead body lying on the ground, don't make it two."

"They're coming," he replied simply.

I took another shaky step towards him, my feet as light as the very air I breathed. What happened to him before the war was none of my business, but I obeyed my father's rules. "Look after those who look after you," I muttered.

"Man, you don't have to do this," Bryce pleaded with the kind of strength I envied and expected from a bounty hunter.

"SHUT UP!" he screeched, thrusting the pistol closer to his face. "We don't have time for this, Ellie. We need to go!"

"Go where?"

"They're coming!"

"Who's coming?" I said as gently as I could, my breath nearly on his neck. I was probing on thin ice, but the only thing running through my mind was my father's stern voice. In his current state, Matthew could easily turn on me.