Chapter 45 - Passed Away

---

Before Chen Yi left the capital city, he did go to visit Marquis Wannian. Unfortunately, Chen Yi's way of speaking was too vague and mysterious. Xue Houyang could not understand anything of what Chen Yi was saying.

Teng Shang understood, but he thought he didn't need to say anything.

Since Xue Wang left the capital city for the south, Xue Houyang had been so busy managing everything. Every court matter, no matter if it was important or trivial, had to be reported to Xue Houyang before any decision could be made. As a result, Xue Houyang had to check each and every matter carefully. Also, he also had to oversee the soldiers' training at the capital city suburb's military camp.

Less than half a month of Xue Wang's absence, someone reported to Xue Houyang that there seemed to be some movement up north.

These people moved in little groups as if they were just travelers passing by country. But then, gradually they behaved too much like a military troop. Marquis Wannian hadn't been transferring troops north, so his subordinates started to get suspicious and decided it was best to report to Marquis Wannian.

Xue Houyang was not a person who often took matters lightly. As soon as he heard the report, he immediately felt something was not right. He sent spies to investigate.

The spies found that these groups were all heading for the capital city, but they would often stop at random places along the road as if they didn't move as one organized unit.

Xue Houyang was reminded about Xue Yu and started to feel alarmed. Xue Yu still had a large military force based in the northern border.

At this time, Marquis Wannian remembered Chen Yi's vague words. He quickly took out the package left by Chen Yi. The package was actually a finely decorated small box, and when he opened the box, there was a piece of paper inside.

On the paper was written :

-- Seek the Empress' advice.

Staring at the paper, Xue Houyang felt discouraged. He knew very well that the Empress was very skilled in military strategies, but this matter should not be treated lightly. If it was really Xue Yu planning to attack the capital city, then it was a huge event; one that might require Xue Wang's presence.

Teng Shang watched as Xue Houyang hesitating over Chen Yi's message and finally couldn't sit still. He said, "You might as well go and ask the Empress' advice."

There was no other choice. Xue Houyang immediately put on his formal attire and entered the Palace seeking audience with his Imperial Sister-in-law.

Xiu Yao let Marquis Wannian into Yunfeng Palace and led him to the main room. As soon as he was inside, Xue Houyang didn't sit down; he remained standing while keeping his sight to the ground. Teng Yun thought that, true to his honest and law-abiding nature, Xue Houyang kept his respectful manner in order not to invite gossip. After all, his sister in law was still an empress.

Teng Yun felt admiration. This Marquis Wannian was indeed a gentleman through and through.

Teng Yun had not heard that Xue Yu might be sending troops, but when he was told by Xue Houyang, he didn't seem to be surprised.

Xue Houyang noted how the Empress calmly received the report; as if this matter was not so dire and complicated. Xue Houyang thought maybe the Empress really had the solution at hand.

Teng Yun thought for a moment before saying, "High Mentor left an advice before leaving, but his message was vague. I think it must be because he feared his message would fall into the wrong ears and eventually only alerted the enemy... Since the enemy doesn't want us find out about them, why don't we beat them at their own game?"