Chapter 2

The second my alarm went off, I was out of bed. I was excited for the first day of school. To make new friends. I quickly got ready by brushing my teeth and straightening my long black hair. I decide to add a little bit of eyeliner and mascara to my eyes. I dress quickly and head downstairs for breakfast. My mother is already gone for her first day of work. She’s going to have long hours for a while but I don’t mind. I get a bowl of cereal and eat it quickly before getting my book bag and heading over to Chase’s house. I knock on the door and a second later Jack answers the door. He smiles down at me and is about to let me in but then Chase comes running over, grabs my arm and drags me to the car.

            “What’s the rush?” I ask.

            “I forgot I had to get there early for a meeting for baseball.” He says.

            “You play baseball?” I ask.

            “Yep.”

            We get in his car and drive off. It takes about 5 minutes to get to the school and the parking lot is filled maybe by half. Some students are outside in the courtyard and others, you can tell are inside. As I take my schedule out to see what room I’m in, Chase takes it, skims it then grabs my book bag and hand and takes me to the room. Once we get there, he drops my book bag and turns to me.

            “Sorry to do this but I have to go. I’ll see you next period and introduce you to my friends. Don’t get into trouble.” He says sternly.

            He runs out of the room and I just stare at the doorway. He’s a strange guy. I notice that there’s no one else in the room and decide to just pick a seat. A minute later a guy with black hair and blacker eyes walks in. He barely looks at me before walking over and sitting behind me. I turn to look at him and he’s on his phone. He notices me staring and looks up.

            “What?” He asks.

            “I was just wondering if there were assigned seats or not.” I say.

            “There isn’t.” He looks back down at his phone, uninterested.

            I turn back around. I guess he doesn’t want to talk. Slowly more and more students flutter in and then the bell rings and the teacher starts class. He calls everyone’s names and introduces me but thankfully doesn’t make me stand up and introduce myself. Some people look at me curiously while others whisper to each other. Is it really that odd to move here in the middle of the school year? He calls someone named Raven and I realize it’s the guy behind me. That name seems to fit him. Once the teacher is done with class, he lets us chat for the last few minutes of class. The girl sitting next to me turns to me and smiles.

            “Hi. The names Abigail but just call my Abby.”

            “Hey, I’m Karen.” I say.

            “Yeah, I know. Chase told me about you. Don’t worry. I’ll take good care of you.” She winks.

            Someone snorts. Abby and I look back at Raven. He’s on his phone pretending like he wasn’t even listening to us. Abby seems to get angry at him.

            “Got something to say Richmond?” She asks.

            Raven looks up with a blank stare.

            “Nope.” He looks back down at his phone.

            “Well not like I care anyways.” She says.