Ch. 1 - Surprise?

Summary: Kakashi Hatake gains a roommate and has to deal with their small attitude.

Kakashi Hatake stared down with confusion at the small bundle occupying the space in front of his door. He looked down the hallway - left and right - of the floor his room was situated on. There was no one in sight. He listened carefully for the sound of footsteps but found that there were none. With a sigh, he glanced back down at the bundle and weighed his options. He could leave the thing out in the hallway and hope someone took it, or he could take it into his room and try to figure out what was going on. Seeing as he was a curious person, Kakashi picked the thing up and brought it into his room.

He made his way into the small living space and placed the bundle on his black couch before he unwrapped the unexpected 'gift'. His eyes grew wide, and his mouth popped open underneath his black mask when he caught a glimpse of the thing inside. Well, it wasn't a thing but a baby. A little baby about five months old with a head full of black and silver hair and dark eyes stared up at him with a calm expression. Judging by the light pink blanket the baby had been swaddled in, it was a girl. Crumpled up next to the baby girl was a note. Kakashi picked it up and opened it, smoothing out the wrinkles so he could read it easier.

Kakashi,

This was definitely unexpected. We only shared a night together, yet we still made a little miracle. Alas, I cannot keep her. My parents were quite unforgiving when they found out that I was pregnant. They wanted me to marry an important man within the nation and have a family with him, not get knocked up by a strange ninja from a feuding land.

I was forced to hide my pregnancy from everyone and delivered this little girl in secret. I was only given a few moments with her before she was ripped from my arms. They were going to ship her off to some orphanage in another nation, but I begged and pleaded with them not to. I gave them your name, I told them who you were so she could live a better life.

I understand if you are upset. A baby was not what either of us wanted, what with your profession and my future. I only hope you can give her the love and attention that I cannot. Please give her the love and attention she deserves.

Fear not, I have already named her, so you won't have to worry about that. Her name is Kokoro. I didn't know if you wanted to give her your last name, so I just gave her mine. The choice is yours.

Akane

Kakashi was shocked to learn that the little girl in front of him - Kokoro - was his. He remembered Akane from a mission he had in the Land of Water. He was to guard her as she traveled to collect a package from the Land of Tea. He was only supposed to watch over her, but one night, Akane asked him to lay with her. She said she was lonely and wanted to experience something before she was to be married to an unknown man. One thing led to another and the two spent the night as lovers. It was just some harmless fun between two lonely people. Kakashi never thought a baby would come out of all of it.

Glancing back down at Kokoro lying on his couch, he picked her up awkwardly, not quite used to holding a baby. He stared into her dark eyes that reminded him so much of his own. But there was more light in them. More innocence. She looked more like Akane, though. Kokoro's skin tone matched her mother's - a rich brown color - and her tuft of hair was the same shade of black - jet black - save for a few strands which held his silvery hair color. Her facial features so closely resembled Akane's, allowing Kakashi to conclude that she would be beautiful when she grew up.

Sighing into the black mask covering the bottom half of his face, Kakashi carefully sat down and thought about his options. He wasn't father material. He had just turned eighteen and was still an ANBU Black Ops. He didn't have time to take care of a child. Hell, he rarely had time to rest! There was no one to feed her, either. She was too young to eat any kind of real food, meaning she needed to be breastfed. He rubbed a hand down his face and slumped against the couch. He thought of his sensei, Minato Namikaze, and wondered what he would do in his situation. He thought back to Minato's son and how ashamed he felt for not keeping his promise by watching over him. How could he, though, when the beast that had killed his sensei was now buried within the boy? Not to mention the fact that he was so swallowed up by self-pity and depression.