XXX.

Damon's library was a dream come true for this bookworm

Doing research online was overwhelming. There were too many articles and some of the information sounded questionable. I didn't have access to any databases on my phone and I was beginning to get frustrated.

It wasn't until the third time I tossed my phone on the floor that the twins took pity on me and led me into the library.

There were rows and rows of books. Most of them were cookbooks, but there were also criminology and criminal law books on some of the shelves. The first book Josh gave me was Criminology for Dummies, and I was sucked in. I was a fast reader and I just finished the book when Xavier found me.

"That was one of the first books my dad made me read in high school. Not the best book around, but it simplifies things," Xavier shrugged before he plopped in the chair next to me.

I nodded shyly.

"I majored in literature in college, I am used to a lot of dry information. But this is interesting to me," I admitted and went to grab a large red book on top of a pile I'd created. "Did you have a nice visit with Maria's mother?"

Xavier snorted.

"I got kicked out five minutes in so they could have mother-daughter time. Now that Lila knows about the baby, I worry I'll never get time alone with Maria," Xavier said with a pout in his voice. "What's with all the papers and books? Are you planning to be a criminal now?"

"I'm trying to learn more about what you guys do– not necessarily Project O-wise, but how the criminal system works and different players, I guess. Jasmine called herself a grifter, but I don't think she scams people for money."

"Oh, she does steal money," Xavier corrected with a wide smile. "But she gives it back to the people who were robbed of it. Picture her as a female Robin Hood. She also helps us get information and infiltrates different organizations. She's brought down a lot of people, but all in the name of good, I suppose."

Xavier put air quotes around "good," and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"That seems awfully confusing but cool at the same time. You guys are like criminals with super hero capes? There is a lot of gray I am missing out on."

Xavier started bouncing in his seat in excitement. "There is a lot of gray. Ro, while I think books are the way to go, you also need to see the world for yourself. And if you want some real research, I've got just the thing for you."

I looked up as Xavier stood and offered his hand. Excitement and nervousness ran through my veins at what he was about to show me. Would it be case files? Would he tell me stories of his adventures? Is he going to take me on the field?

I grabbed the red book as Xavier dragged me away from the library.

~*~

"So he pretended to hypnotize them so one of the suspects would lie about what they witnessed the night of the murder?" I asked as I put another piece of popcorn in my mouth.