CHAPTER FOUR: GOLDEN TICKET

"Let's go, b*tch!"

Stephanie quickly lowers the volume on her phone, but it's too late. We are already trading smiles because of her cousin's crude language. It's been the same routine the past three Friday nights. Stephanie gets the same "hurry up" message from Savannah before heading downstairs to meet up with her and Megan. Stephanie offered me an invitation to the dorm building basement shenanigans the first time around but didn't pressure me when I explained that I'm not into that kind of stuff.

I remain poised on my bed with my laptop on my lap, earbuds in my ears, and a random movie playing on the screen. It's eight o'clock so I'm already in my pajamas, including an oversized tie dye shirt, that is one of the many my sister and I spent two summers ago making, and navy blue and green plaid pajama bottoms. Stephanie, on the other hand, still looks presentable even though she's sporting a messy bun. She's wearing jeans, tan wedges, and a cream-colored knit tank top.

"Good?" Stephanie whirls around from her place in front of her desk. She lightly pokes at the lip gloss she just reapplied in her small circle mirror. I give her a nod. She nods back before swiping up her wristlet. "See you later," she chirps like she always does.

"Have fun!" I chirp back. "Stay safe," I always add because as an older sibling I can't help my mama bear instincts.

"Thanks mom!" Stephanie's tongue pokes out the door along with her head, but it's the smile she always ends the gesture with that lets me know she appreciates my concern.

Once the door clicks behind her, I click resume on my movie and snuggle further down against my pillows.

****

My ears are sore by the time I realize I no longer need my earbuds because I'm alone in the room. There also is only ten minutes left in the movie, but I find myself too busy rubbing my ears to pay attention. I'm also too busy rubbing my ears to realize that the buzzing and music is coming from my phone and not my laptop screen. I lift my laptop and my blankets. The cycle repeats a few times before my phone flies out of my sheets when I stretch them out over my head. I have a missed call from Stephanie by the time I pick my phone back up off the floor. I'm in the middle of typing her a text message when she calls again.

"Hello?"

"Hey, can you hear me?"

"Yes," I say, but refrain from pointing out that I can also hear the beat of the song around her more.

"I'm sorry to bother you. Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me. Thank you." The music is muffled, and I hear the few clomps of Stephanie's footsteps before she sighs. "Sorry, can you still hear me?"

"Yeah, are you okay?"

"Yeah, it's probably nothing, but I was supposed to meet up with this guy, but I haven't seen him yet. So, I started talking to this other guy, and he's not being pushy, but like—I don't know."

"Is Savannah with you?"

"She's too far gone, if you know what I mean, and the last time I saw her Meg was taking her to the bathroom."

"Where are you?"

"I'm in the stairwell, and I would leave, but . . ."

My right arm folds across my chest while my left hand continues to press the phone to my ear. "You still want to wait for the other guy?"

"Yes, but I also—it's probably nothing, but I only had one drink, and I already feel it. Like I know, you've never, but, like, I've done it enough to know that I usually need more than one."