Chapter 15

Before I knew it, the day had come. We had a lot of preparations to do before the Thanksgiving party. We were bringing the dessert, a green salad, and the green bean casserole. I didn't like to cook very much, but I did like to bake. And I could make a mean apple pie. It was surreal to be cooking for an event as if this was any sense of normal. I followed my captor's lead, though, trying to stay out of trouble.

The drive was going to be about ninety minutes. And of course, I had dreams of an escape—somehow jumping out of the car or disappearing during the party. But a big part of me wanted to meet these other people, wanted to celebrate Thanksgiving as if some aspect of my life was normal. I had been in seclusion for weeks and was desperate for human contact. And my curiosity was killing me. I did feel grateful, even if I wasn't with my family.

I was lucky enough not to be buried six feet under.

What was wrong with me? I felt complacent, accepting my fate with James. I should've been taking any opportunity I could find to escape. Shouldn't I? I told myself I would do it after Thanksgiving. The more James trusted me, the more his guard would be down. I would work that to my advantage. At least, that's what I told myself.

As I got dressed, I thought about Stockholm syndrome again. It was a paradoxical relationship, that's for sure. And I couldn't possibly be having feelings for James. After all, I had a background in psychology and sociology, and I had a wonderful life at home to fight for. So, why in the world was I dazedly staying? I quickly pushed the thought out of my mind. It was ludicrous. I was smarter than that to fall for such a thing. I hoped.

I thought of Jaycee Dugard again, who was abducted at age eleven, and not found until eighteen years later. She had two children with her captor, Phillip Garrido. She had many opportunities to escape, but she was so brainwashed she stayed with him and his demented wife. I used to think this was absurd and something must've been wrong with her. But now I saw the parallels to my life.

"Are you ready to go?" James asked, standing by the bedroom door. I startled. I hadn't even heard the front door open.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"That's okay. I'm almost ready. Just have to finish my makeup."

"OK, I'll wait for you in the other room."

As I walked into the family room, James was sporting a big smile. He looked handsome, wearing a new suit and tie.

"Wow, Corrine, you look absolutely beautiful."

"Thanks," I said, blushing.

He kissed me on the forehead, and I froze. That was a first.

"Well, uh, we better get going," he said.

He opened the unlocked door, and I got my first full view of the stairway I had spent so much time imagining. I didn't know what I was anticipating, but it was only a bland stairwell with brown carpet and no pictures on the wall. I noticed an opened door at the foot of the stairs he must've used to quiet any sound I may make upstairs. With two thick doors, the apartment would be practically sound-proof.

He held my hand as we walked downstairs. I was sweating terribly, not knowing what to expect and not comfortable with the body contact. But I had to admit a small part of me felt that same butterfly feeling on a first date. The confusion flustered me, and I was angry for feeling this way. I wrote it off as the excitement for finally getting out of the apartment.

When we got to the bottom of the stairs, James kissed my hand.

"Hey, relax," he whispered. "It's going to be okay. We're going to have a good time. Trust me, okay?"