Chapter 49: Finn

Karen gives a speech during lunch. "I'm sure you've all heard about the activity planned for this weekend," she says, her strident voice carrying easily through the Mess Hall. The room, usually noisy, has gone completely silent; everyone holding their breath in anticipation of news about the mysterious upcoming activity. "It will be a two-day activity," she continues. More than a few whispers and glances are exchanged. We've never had a two-day activity before— even an activity lasting longer than half the day is unheard of. "We will be hiking to the top of Pontoppidan Mountain, where we will set up camp and spend the night. The hike will take about eight hours there and back."

More whispers. More glances. Next to me, Emily mumbles, "If Karen thinks she can make me walk to the top of a freaking mountain, then she's got another thing coming."

"An eight-hour hike? That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment," says Selena, although not as quietly.

Karen glares sternly at the crowd. Unlike Owen, she's rarely oblivious to dissent. "The hike is mandatory," she proclaims, "and any camper that tries to skip out in any way will be scrubbing dishes for the rest of the summer. Questions?"

This last bit is mostly rhetorical, but Giselle raises her hand anyway. "Uh, yeah. Where are we going to sleep?"

"In the Four Seasons located conveniently at the top of the mountain," says the counselor, her words dripping with sarcasm. "No, Ms. Bell, we will be spending the night in tents, on sleeping bags. If you desire extra comfort, you may bring a padded mat, although this will make your backpack heavier on the way up."

Giselle mutters something under her breath.

"Feel free to take me up on my offer of kitchen duty for the rest of the summer," Karen says breezily. "Now, are there any other questions?"

Nobody raises their hand. Matt Mernan. doesn't even bother wolf-whistling.

"Then it's settled. We will be departing at eight tomorrow morning, so I suggest that you all pack your bags tonight."

Karen steps down from the podium, but her words linger in the air for a while longer.

For the rest of the day, all anybody talks about is the hike— I mean, The Hike. (It's capitalized because it's important.) "Do you think we're going to be, like, supervised?" Matt asks after Sharing Circle. "I mean, there's thirty-two of us and only five of them, so how closely can they watch us..."

"Don't get any ideas," Tima warns him. "I'm sure they're going to be on the look-out even more than usual for that kind of stuff. They'll bust you for smoking faster than you can even say it wasn't mine."

"Seriously?"

"Yes, seriously."

Matt frowns. "The Hike is going to suck."

"You finally caught on?"

Our discussion of The Hike is only interrupted once: during dinner when the table is joined by two newcomers. The first one— Becca Fisher— is received far more warmly than the second. "You're always welcome to sit with us, Becca," Giselle gushes, patting the empty chair next to her. "Things are always more exciting when you're around."

Becca offers her a strained smile. "Thanks, Giselle, but I think I'm going to sit next to Finn tonight."

For some reason, this only adds to Giselle's cheerfulness. "No worries! Sit wherever you'd like!"

Still smiling awkwardly, Becca maneuvers over to my side. We've been on better terms since our conversation in the forest, but nothing is ever certain with her— and I worried that if I say one wrong word, we'll be back at square one, fighting again.