Chapter 3

The girl had long golden hair than shone almost strawberry with light curls down to her waist. She watched the men with large pointed hazel eyes and strong black eyelashes extending outwards in curiosity. Her eyes darted between them, finding one no more interesting than the next, as they all surprised her. Jack, still frozen by the sight of the girl, turned to Hatter. "Is this that Alice girl you speak so fondly of?" He turned on his heel in question as he swayed a bit from the liquor. Hatter rose from his chair silently as he eyed the girl. "I know Alice..." he began with a firm frown on his face. "And that is not her." His eyes never shifted from her as he seemed on guard. The rest of the men seemed to watch her in curiosity and silence, even Sweeney. Out of them all, he looked more shocked than the others. The silence now filled the forest as Cheshire swooped down next to the girl with a welcoming purr. "Why don't you introduce yourself dear?" He cocked his head with a grin. The girl watched the cat dance in space with bemusement. She wasn't frightened by his razored teeth, or his piercing eyes, as she watched him with delight like he was an imaginary friend. She then nodded softly and turned to the table with a new found confidence. "I'm Rayna." She smiled gently. With no further way of introducing herself, her confidence, like a script, was suddenly forgotten as her shoulders shrunk and her eyes fell to the table. All men looked between one another as they too had no idea what to do with the girl.

Cheshire Cat, fed up with their lack of maturity, snapped to the table. "Who's the most friendly looking here?" He stared, his eyes washing over the men. All six heads quickly looked to Wonka as he held his breath. He looked about the others with a scowl. "Me?" He stated accusingly. "No, no, no, I'd much rather send the hatter!" His uncomfortable chuckles echoed as no man took their eyes off him. He worriedly raised his eyes to the cat. "Fine! What with me do you need?" Cheshire Cat suddenly disappeared and reappeared in Jack's empty seat. "Come, take a seat here love." He said twirling Jack's nearly empty bottle of liquor. Wonka reluctantly stood from his chair to move before Jack spouted nonsense once more. "Thas' my seat you nitwit!" He called in frustration. Cheshire once more wisped into this air, only reappearing behind Wonka. "Calm down, you can sit here." He purred. Wonka, startled by the cat's appearance nearly fell into the table. He scoffed and straightened his jacket as he made his way to his new seat as if nothing happened. Jack pouted as his made his way to his new seat as well. Barnabas, confused by the need for switching chairs, looked to the cat with a raised brow. "And the purpose for that?" He trailed off. Cheshire's eyes drifted to the empty seat at the other end of the table. "So she has a friendly face to sit with." He smiled as he glided back to Rayna to guide her to her new chair. With that, she took her seat, looking much smaller than the rest of the guests. Next to her sat, now Willy Wonka, and Edward, who sat with a slight welcoming smile to the girl. As Cheshire Cat opened his mouth to speak once more, he was interrupted by a small rustling at the foot of the forest. Out popped a small door mouse in red garbs, a belt and a cravat, holding a proportional sword. She heaved as she snapped to the cat. "Cheshire! Where you been?" She demanded. Cheshire looked down to the mouse then back to Rayna. "Maliumpkin? Why are you here? I've been helping the new guest get adjusted?" He said as if he expected her to know that's where he was. The mouse peered around the chair to see the girl before she shook her head. "Never mind that!" She started, rolling her head. "It's the bandersnatch! He's acting up again. I can't keep him on my own." She then turned on her heel leaving Cheshire no time to answer. "Come on!" She called, then darting off into the forest once more. Cheshire sputtered a few incomprehensible syllables before looking to the table, specifically Hatter. "I'm sorry my dear friends, I'd love to stay and talk longer but I must be off now." And with that the cat evaporated into turquoise smoke in an instant before anyone could object.

Rayna watched where the cat once was before turning to the table shyly. Her eyes sheepishly raised to Wonka as she figured she could trust him because the cat said so. Suddenly feeling the pressure of something being expected from him, Wonka let out a nervous chuckle before outstretching his hand, dressed in a purple latex glove. "I'm Willy Wonka." He started. "And um..." His voice trailed off looking for something interesting to say, but it wasn't needed. Rayna's eyes widened from his name as a smile crept across her face. "Willy Wonka? Like, the famous candy man of the world?" She asked politely. Wonka, pleased that he was known, gave a cocked smile and retracted his hand. "Yeah." He cheerfully nodded. "That's the one." Rayna exhaled in excitement as her eyes didn't leave him. Her legs were kicking furiously beneath her seat. She wore skinny blue jeans and a tan top with various colorful designs stretched across it like a canvas. Her feet were dressed with bright purple socks and colorful teal sneakers. Her outfit didn't make much sense, and it seemed out of place compared to the rest of the table. Wonka, feeling the child's stare, hesitantly gestured to Edward. "And that there is Edward." Rayna's eyes followed Wonka's voice to the shy man with black ratted hair. He gave a gentle smile as he raised a scissored hand to wave. He quickly realized the terror of his hand as he shot it back down under the table to not scare the girl, but his hands did just the opposite. Rayna's eyes sparkled at the sight of his hands. "Whoa, what's that?" She asked sitting at the edge of her seat. Edward glanced around the table for reassurance before raising his hand once more. Rayna watched his scissors, eyeing every detail with fascination. "That's awesome!" She exclaimed looking to Edward. His scars didn't bother her nor his hair as his face was far to gentle for him to look menacing. Edward smiled as he loosened up around the girl. "Thank you." He said calmly and quietly. Rayna nodded back as she gave a wide smile to the man. After her interaction with Edward, the rest of the table seemed to loosen up as well. One by one, they began introducing themselves.

Ichabod poked his head out from around the others and gave the girl a wave. "I'm Ichabod, Ichabod Crane." He said clearing his throat. Rayna cocked her head as she slowly repeated his name. "Ick-a-bod- Crane!" She exclaimed with another smile. "That's such a cool name!" She watched the man in fascination of his name and clothes. Before Ichabod could thank her, he was interrupted by Jack. "And I, my dear lady, am Captain Jack Sparrow!" He said waving his hands about. Rayna watched this man with a bit of discomfort, but it quickly was changed to curiosity when he said captain. "Captain? Are you a pirate?" She asked innocently. Jack nodded smugly. "The best one of the sea!" He exclaimed with a rough voice. Barnabas rolled his eyes as he interrupted the pirate from babbling any further. "You mustn't mind him." He said calmly to the girl. "He's just a crazy drunkard." The girl shifted in her chair from the mention of his description as she watched Barnabas for comfort. He then continued, "I am Barnabas, and we are oh so very pleased to have you here my dear." He smiled, exposing his fangs. He figured it was safe since she could handle Edward. Rayna's discomfort quickly dropped as she scooted to the edge of her seat once more. "Oh my god! Are you a vampire?" She asked eagerly. "Indeed I am." Barnabas replied. Rayna watched amazed that he was real. "I've always been told vampires weren't real, but I knew you were real I just knew it! I love vampires!" She finished. Barnabas, taken aback by her excitement, gave a thankful chuckle. "Oh really? I'm so very pleased to hear so." And so the routine continued as Hatter rose from his seat. "How peculiar, how you look like Alice. I know you are not Alice but your features amaze me at how similar you look to her." Rayna shifted her eyes to Hatter with a smile. Shaking his head, Hatter started once more. "I am Terrance Hightop, but everyone calls me Hatter, Mad Hatter." He said with a crooked smile and a childish giggle. Rayna nodded, examining the man's face, as he looked like a clown. Thankfully, Rayna loved clowns as well as she quickly took a liking to him. "Nice to meet you." She replied gently. Her eyes then glided over to Sweeney who was still watching her with a curious scowl. The table feel silent as Sweeney used this to his advantage. "Why are you here?" He asked sharply. Her crazy normality seemed to blend so easily that everyone glazed over the fact that she was a random child. Her eyes dropped to the table as she shoved her hands under her thighs. "I came looking for something." It was an answer that no one at the table expected. Wonka raised a brow. "What something were you looking for?" Rayna didn't raise her eyes as she continued. "I know I'm not normal, and I know I'm a pain." Her brows furrowed slightly, looking concerned and sad. "My mom works so hard and she has no time for me. I don't know where my father is. I left looking for someone else who would maybe want me. You see, my mom and I have barely enough money for anything now a days, so if I'm not there, she can have more for herself. I just want her to be comfortable and happy." She dropped her shoulders. "I wandered for a while before I came across a forest that had all sorts of leaves and twigs. I thought, maybe I could build a hut there of something, but instead I accidentally fell down this long hole. And well, then I met Cheshire and now I'm here." She raised her eyes to Sweeney who was watching her intently. "Where's your father?" He questioned without wondering of her mother. She shook her head. "I don't know where he is. He and mom got in a huge fight because of his drinking." The tone in her voice changed as her eyes became foggy. "He's violent sometimes." Barnabas took into account of her reaction as to understand why Jack made her uncomfortable. Sweeney gave a nod as he watched the girl with a different look. It was a face that showed very rarely. It was calm and collected, empathetic and kind. As Rayna raised her eyes to his once more, a sense of security washed over her. Sweeney gave a nod as he introduced himself. "I am Sweeney Todd." He stated gently. Rayna watched the man for a moment before his words registered. Her happy smile then broke out across her face once again. "Nice to meet you Sweeney Todd!" She grinned. And with that, everyone at the table was introduced.

Edward suddenly raised his head to the others and spoke. "What are we going to do now?" He questioned softly. Wonka looked over to her with a concerned smile. "Well, we could always try to find her family?" He shrugged looking back to the table. Before any votes could go on Wonka's idea, Sweeney quickly interrupted. He spoke directly to Rayna, rather than speaking of her while she sat, waiting for her fate to be decided for her. "Would you like to stay with us?" He offered with a stern face. Everyone at the table looked shocked to Sweeney as he was never one to give such a kind offers. Normally, he admitted to himself that he wouldn't have offered either, but Rayna had a familiar look about her. He hair, her smile, her gentle features, yet bold personality, it all struck him a certain way. He watched Rayna with content. The girl, puzzled by such a nice offer from the scariest one at the table, looked about herself. They all seemed kind and she was fascinated by what she stumbled across, and she loved it. The decision was clear in her head. Her eyes shot to Sweeney as a huge smile broke out across her lips. "I'd love to!" She exclaimed.