Delusional

"Let's see those big teeth, buddy," said Jim. "Open up."

Coda-9994 opened his mouth and fought the urge to bite down as Jim slipped the hydration tube into his esophagus. No matter how many times they repeated this routine, it still felt bizarre. He knew it was for the best, because his food could not provide adequate hydration, and he couldn't drink saltwater any more than a human could. He tried talking to Jim to break the awkward silence.

-   I heard talk about sending me to an ICA Open Water Training Facility. What's that all about, anyway? –

Jim smiled. "Someone's been paying attention. The nearest open water facility happens to be right outside Hull. A little escape from this city, I suppose. It's a fairly large indoor salt lake, where you'll be learning essential survival skills for Ouroboros. How to dive deep, how to hunt, how to navigate, all that. Quite an upgrade from your current living conditions."

Coda-9994 knew he should have been happy to hear that, but instead, he was afraid. Every time they reminded him where he was going – a potentially hostile ocean planet far, far away – it filled him with dread. What would he do without Jim? Without his stories? Without even a dream of Earth's ocean to cling to?

-   Before I knew the plans for my future, I might have been happy to hear that. –

Jim looked troubled. "Coda, I know you're afraid to go, but believe me when I say it's probably the best thing for you. You've been miserable in this shithole of a tank for far too long. Your mental health is getting worse by the day, and everyone can see that. You deserve so much better."

-   You're right about one thing, Jim, and that is that I deserve better. But I hate to tell you that only I know what's best for me. You might love me, but you don't know me better than I know myself. The best thing for me would be to see Earth's ocean restored and to swim in it, even if only for once. –

"I know, pal, but let's be realistic. The ocean, most likely, will not be habitable again within your lifetime." Jim pumped the last bit of water down the whale's throat and withdrew the tube.

-   Not unless someone does something. We can all stand back and wait for the world to change, but all the wishing and waiting in the world won't change a damn thing. –

Jim looked the whale in the eye. "Coda, we're one man and one whale against the ultimate world domination machine. What the hell can we do?"

-   If you think that's true, then we can't do anything. –

"I'm not trying to be cruel, Coda. I'm trying to be honest. I think you're getting more than a bit delusional with your hopes and dreams. I can't see this world changing, at least not while we live. It's not possible."

Coda made a deep rumbling sound before sending his next message.

-   YOU'RE delusional, Jim. You've made yourself believe that going to Ouroboros will be good for me while refusing to do what we both KNOW is right. I honestly don't know how you can fall asleep at night. You promised me that you would at least try to make things right, yet you never intended to fulfill that promise. Who the fuck do you think you are? –

"You want to talk to me like that?" he snarled. "I'm the one who keeps you alive."

-   And for what? What if I do what Tc1 did and don't take the next breath? –

"You wouldn't dare." A hint of fear crept into Jim's voice. "You wouldn't dare!"

-   Why not? Do you really think I care if you lose your fucking job? It might do you well to grovel in the streets of Hull like a ruined puppet cut off your strings. –