Introduction

Following years of disputes between the house of York and the house of Lancaster, it all came to ahead in 1485 at the Battle of Bosworth when Henry Tudor defeated and killed Richard III. To ensure his claim to the throne was as strong as possible, and so to avoid further conflict, Henry married Richard's niece, Elizabeth of York. The new King and Queen wasted no time in securing their lineage, when in September 1486, Elizabeth gave birth to a healthy son, this Prince had once and for all united the warring houses, being a descendent of both and possessing a claim that nobody could dispute. After the legend who claimed to one day return when the country needed him most, the boy was named Arthur, and like his namesake, the Prince symbolised optimism and a united England under strong leadership. Prince Arthur was expected to rule over a golden age. 

Over the next 10 years, King Henry VII and Queen Elizabeth produced three more healthy children: Margaret, Henry and Mary; growing up, Prince Arthur was especially close to his younger brother who resembled him both in looks and in character. Both Princes were considered handsome and athletic young men in their youth, consequently, as was common with 16th century teenagers of royal birth, his parents set out to find a bride for their eldest son. Princesses from all over Europe were considered, but Henry VII decided that Catalina, the beautiful daughter of Ferdinand II of Aragon and his wife, Isabella of Castile, would make a suitable wife for his son. Upon arriving in England, without really knowing the language, Catalina was given the more English sounding name, Catherine, and was received by Prince Arthur with delight; she was considered one of the most beautiful Princesses in Europe of the day, Sir Thomas More even observed that, 'there is nothing wanting in her that the most beautiful girls should have'. Prince Arthur and Catherine of Aragon were quickly married and seemed to be entirely happy with their choice in spouse, despite their differing accents and pronunciations making communication between the pair difficult, the young couple appeared eager, willing and certainly able to fall in love with one another, rather than it just being a marriage of political alliance, if they were given the luxury of time. Unfortunately, this luxury was not granted to the newly wedded teenagers. In 1502, Arthur and Catherine each fell ill, luckily Catherine quickly recovered. Had Arthur overcome his illness, a healthy child may have come from their marriage. Had Arthur overcome his illness, his brother Henry might have been free to marry who he pleased and without pressure to produce an heir, they could have been happy, healthy and consequently fruitful. Had Arthur overcome his illness, the needless executions of innocent wives, royal peers and people of different branches of Christianity could have been avoided. But Arthur did not overcome his illness, and on 2nd April 1502, he died aged just 15 and without an heir. England was not to receive the King that had been so well trained and so eagerly anticipated, named after the legend who promised to return to the country and restore it to prosperity when it needed him most, the idea of Arthur's reign brought optimism and joy to the people of England, but it wasn't to be, and so the duty fell to his younger brother.