Thirty-Nine

We are lying on the rooftop watching the stars move across the night sky, my head pillowed in the crook of Luke's shoulder. Our breaths mingle in the same air, and it is a place I never want to leave. When he cranes his neck toward me, I sigh, breathing in his warmth.

"By the way," he begins, leveling me with serious eyes. "You were wrong earlier. You deserve more than you believe."

My gut twists, but his fingers are tracing a distractingly delicate pattern on my forearm. When I don't speak, he shifts so that he's facing me full-on.

"You are more deserving than this entire forsaken world, Sophie," he continues. "I know how you view yourself in such a harsh light, and it hurts my heart that you don't think you deserve this." He gestures between us, dipping his head toward me, as if sharing a secret. "You crashing through the forest that day was the best thing that's ever stumbled into my life, and I'll be damned if you ever leave it. He is so close, his pine green eyes is all I can see. "I need to make sure you're feeling this too."

He brushes my cheek with his calloused fingers, and they come away wet. I blink, sending more tears to cascade down the slope of my cheek, but he catches them all.

"I've never felt anything better," I choke out. For years, I've felt like a shadow. A failure. I let my brother be abducted and did nothing about it. I have been a coward. I've let others lead my life.

But just like that, he squashes my feelings of inadequacy.

I've come to find purpose in the Outlands. With Luke. I've finally found myself, and the fire that has been stoked inside me now rages to life. It wants to thrive. I want to live.

And I want to be with Luke.

I part my lips to show him just how much, but I am stopped by a distinct crackling sound.

One, then another, and another crackle fills the quiet dark, followed by a pathetic shriek. White flashes of light brighten the night sky. At first I think it is lightning, but there are no storm clouds tonight. It is coming from somewhere on the ground. Luke and I exchange a look before he rises and walks over to the edge of the roof. I follow him, and gasp.

We can see most of the old city from this high up, including the perimeter of Perseca—which is now occupied by dozens of Skinwalkers. The only thing separating us from the mob of creatures are the electrified palisades, which now light up the sky as they fry the ones that try and scale it. My gut twists as they crawl over one another in a sickening advance to the top.

With a glance at Luke, I get the feeling that this is not supposed to be happening. His face is a mural of horror and it takes only a beat for us to act.

"They've surrounded us!" I stammer, rushing down the stairs behind Luke. Not once do my feet falter despite my pounding heart. Just then, a blaring siren splits the air. I jump, the sound whipping my brain back to the sirens in Herald. The irony is not lost on me.

"We need to get to safety!" Luke grabs my hand when we reach the ground floor and we take off in a sprint, but I pull back.

"I need to get to my brother! He has to come with us."

Luke stops, takes me in only for a fraction of a second, then nods, as if he can read the desperation etched into my heart. Taking my hand once more, we run in the direction of the research building.

The lights are still blazing inside despite the late hour. I'm not even surprised that they are still at it this late into the night. Dr. Tabb is the kind of person that will rest only when she cannot work any longer. I am thankful for this as we burst through the laboratory doors.

But I did not expect to see her at an exam table, leaning over a still Skinwalker.

My feet skid to a halt, not quite believing my eyes.

"Is it dead?" The words leave my mouth before I realize. Dr. Tabb looks up, her bright smile boring into me amidst the chaos. The sight makes my stomach twist.

"It worked on the first attempt!" she exclaims, capping a syringe and slipping it into her pocket. "The first trial is a success! Once we separated the viral proteins in your blood and engineered the antibodies to attack the Skinwalker's DNA, I figured we couldn't get close enough to inject the creature with the serum. But your brother had the marvelous idea to aerosolize it!" Her words are bordered on the edge of madness.

At the mention of him, Rhett bursts through the double doors opposite the room, his hair a mess of brown waves. "They're overloading the palisades! I don't know how long it can last before they short-circuit!" The panic on my brother's face renews the fear within me with urgency.

I remember the Skinwalker attack Sol told me about. The one where the entirety of Keir was ravaged and Luke's mother was mutilated. I shudder. I cannot let that happen here.

"What can I do?" I ask, my skin itching to help. Screw hiding. I can't let the Skinwalkers raid Perseca and harm all its innocent inhabitants, especially when Dr. Tabb's work has finally paid off.

Then it hits me.

"Wait, you've done it? You have a cure?" I gingerly approach the expired creature lying exposed on the table. Its pale flesh is sickly pallid, and I can see the tips of its pointed teeth peeking out from its slack lips.

"Oh, no dear," Dr. Tabb turns, her sinister grin on me. "I have a weapon."