03. Short Macchiato

0 3 .

short macchiato

"YOU SPOKE WITH THE ISAAC HENSICK AND YOU RAN AWAY?"

Riley's hushed shouts drilled into my ear as we sat beside each other in English class. William sat across the room in his assigned seat, staring at us with a confused expression as he attempted to communicate with us using stupid facial expressions and exaggerated hand gestures.

I nodded silently in reply to Riley, trying to focus on the class work.

"Care to explain why?" Riley whispered. Her face was so scrunched up it looked like it was being sucked into the centre of her head.

"He's Isaac Hensick," I replied calmly, emphasising his name. "People like him don't associate themselves with people like me."

As I said his name, my eyes subconsciously drifted up to his group of friends. The blonde mop of curls belonging to Sebastian Georges sat beside the dark locks of Arthur Andrews – the seat beside them empty. As expected, Isaac hadn't turned up to class.

In fact, I hadn't seen him at all since he'd called me Aspirin yesterday at lunch. Not that I wanted to. I'd suffered enough embarrassment around him to last me a lifetime.

Riley scoffed, shaking her head.

"Well they clearly do."

"That doesn't help." I paused to scribble down some notes on Emma by Jane Austen. "I'm going to end up embarrassing myself."

It was true. Isaac Hensick was one of the 'It Boys' of the school – the kind of person who only associated themselves with other 'It People' of the school, like Arthur Andrews, and unlike me.

The whole school knew who he was, knew how he skipped school more than probably allowed, and how he messed around with any semi-attractive girl that crossed his path. He had a reputation to uphold.

Riley stayed silent for a moment.

"You're right. You will."

I narrowed my eyes at her, quirking a brow at her unusual response. "Thanks."

"But that doesn't mean you should avoid him!" Riley continued, ignoring my bitterness. "Aspen, this is your chance!"

I stared at her, confused at her sudden enthusiasm.

"My chance at what?"

"At a life outside of your bedroom," she whispered back. "Friends beside me and William. Maybe even a boyfriend."

"But I love you and William."

I glanced at William, his eyes narrowed as he twisted his hand in the universal 'what' gesture. Ignoring his confusion, I caught him discreetly roll his eyes, causing me to laugh quietly.

"Not entirely sure William loves me, though," I joked, looking back at William to poke my tongue out at him.

He mimicked me, his tongue poking out between his lips right as Mr Greene turned to ask him a question. Riley and I stifled our laughter as William got scolded in front of the entire class, his eyes glaring daggers into my head.

"Seriously, Aspen."

I faced Riley again. Her eyes had gone serious, although a gentle smile tugged at the corner of her lips.

"I've seen you watching him in the halls," she continued quietly. "Maybe this is your chance."

I didn't reply, hating the way my heart raced at her words. The way she gave me hope that maybe I could become friends with the boy I'd watched in our local café for months.