{18}The Truth

🌻Chapter 18🌻
The Truth Shall Set You Free

    I skipped Visions for the past few days, ensuring that Desiree was well.
"You should go back to school."
"No, I'm not. I want us to leave New York. Pick a city, another state, or even a country."
"And if I do, where's the money to move there?"
"I've been saving money since junior high. That should be enough to get a place and move us out."
"Okay then, Las Angeles."
"It's settled then-" The blowing of a vehicle horn outside made me stop talking.
   I pulled the curtain and there was a white van that had Dr. Phil's logo printed at the sides.
"God damn you, controversy." I went outside and approached the van.
"Are you Hanami Winston?"
"Yes?"
"Well, Dr. Phil has requested for you, Déjà and Mr. Kobayashi to meet on the show. Your great aunt has to come as well."
"And when is this?"
"The show will be tomorrow. You'd leave this afternoon and prepare for your appearance."
"Okay."
"Pack a few things, we'd be back by this afternoon."

🌻🌻🌻

"Are you sure you want to go?"
"I have to. I want to hear her excuse for wanting to abort me, I want to know if my father has anything to do with it.."
"Well come on, let's go."
The driver took our things and put them in the trunk, Desiree and I sat at the backseat as he went back to the driver's seat and started up the engine.
Desiree placed her hand on mine, "Everything will be okay."
"I hope so.."

🌻🌻🌻

I scrolled through twitter, people commented and showed their support.

I never know such a beautiful lady would keep such an ugly secret. I know you're her daughter, the face alone says it all. #Hanami
@BooBooKitten

You went through a lot, I think you should know the truth as you're about to face the adult world. #Hanami
@IAmEloho

Girl you got support from a sista from the Bronx. Let her know you got feelings too, I love my daughter and I would never neglect her cute a$$ for fame! Shit, New York girls don't work like that!
Good luck, boo! #Hanami
@CardiB

This was the most selfish, controversial thing I've seen in all my years. Selfishness and Greed enslaves us all, but this, this is cruelty. You have my support. #Hanami
@Oprah Winfrey

  I sighed with a smile, tears falling from eyes. I turned off the phone and placed it in my pocket as the show was going to start.
"We all heard about the controversial story circle around the media. I have with me, the victim of it all. Hanami Winston."
The audience applauded.
"Hello, Hanami."
"Hi, Dr. Phil."
"How are you?"
"I'm quite pissed off, but very determined to find out what the heck really went on and what exactly did I do to deserve this."
"Good, so tell us your story."
"Well, Desiree was my guardian. I was grown to believe that my parents were dead. Then in college when I came to visit, she old me what happened and that my mother was alive."
"And how did that make you feel?"
"I was shocked, angry. But I know that it wasn't Desiree's fault, so I couldn't blame her."
"If you were told the truth about what happened, would you reconcile with your mother?"
"Hell no, I can't do that to myself."
"And your father?"
"Well, I would try to build a relationship with him."
"And here he comes, Ishida Kobayashi."
    He walked across the stage, having a seat right next to me. In my heart, I felt a connection. So I know he's my dad.
"So, Mr. Kobayashi, does she look like you?"
"Mostly her mother, but some things she has from me. Like those big eyes and the roundness of her face, also I'm sure she likes to draw."
"Yes, I like to draw." I nodded.
"Good, there's some things in common. No doubt, she's your daughter."
"No doubt in my heart."
"Did you know that Déjà was pregnant?"
"No, not at all. I never made contact with her ever since she left Japan."
"And you need answers?"
"Of course, I have a kid in Brooklyn and I don't know about it? That's messed up, Phil."
"We'll see how more messed up it gets when the root of all this comes out."

🌻🌻🌻

  Tensions were about to get high, Desiree sat in the front row watching keenly as to what will take place next.
"We have the whole family here, folks. Will this have a happy ending? We shall see. So, Déjà, what is your side of this?"
"Well, I was young, I was foolish and I sincerely apologize for what I have done. Hanami, this isn't your fault and you deserve none of this.."
"Damn right I don't."
"You never answered our question."
"Well, Ishida and I met, we fell in love and messed around. Weeks later, I was pregnant. I was confused, my mother told me to throw you away then Desiree said to birth the child and she'd keep it. I did exactly that and my actions came back to haunt me."
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"I was scared, Ishida."
"No you weren't, you're selfish. I always wanted a kid, to start a family. Then I found out on the media that I had a kid out there. That was a shock. I booked a flight immediately to get here and find out the truth."
"Do you think she's your daughter, Ishida?"
"Yes, very much."
"A friend of mine, you may know him, took a DNA test for the truth. How are you Maury?"
"As shocked as this kid is, but I really want to read this DNA test."
"Please read it.." I begged.
"Here goes. In the case if eighteen year-old Hanami Winston. Ishida, you are the father." Deja stood up and walked off the stage.
Ishida got up from his seat and gave me a hug, "Now that I'm in your life, I'll never leave you. My daughter."
"Thank you, so much." I cried in his arms.

Let's argue:
Do you think Hanami was right for not choosing to reconciling with her mother? Give your opinions in the comments.