PROLOGUE

"So you will join me for Christmas, Little Yang?"

"Yes, Ah Ma. Mama and Papa told me. They probably just want me out of the way for their trip to Taiwan, though."

"Tsk tsk, you must not say that. I told them I was getting a little lonely, so they ask you to come. Still, you are sure you would rather spend the holidays with your ailing old lady than with your friends?"

"What—of course it's fine, grandmamma. I don't have many friends anyway; you know all I do around here is practice."

"You do not need to lie to me, Little Yang. I know you are like a wild animal there; I see the pictures. I have learned to use the Facebook."

". . . Remind me to have a chat with whoever taught you how."

"Heh. Ah, but Edward, Little Chen. . .are you two not still friends?"

"Hmmh? Wait—oh, you mean Eddy?"

"Aiyah—yes, that young man. His other name always escapes me."

"Ah, well, we're definitely still friends."

"Good, good. I would hate to see such a wonderful boy leave your side. You know?"

". . . Right. Okay, sure, grandmamma. Um, did you need me to bring anything else to your—"

"Your grandmother will be very happy if you do not come alone."

". . . Huh?"

"Bring your date along too—is that what you young ones call your lovers nowadays?"

"Grandmamma!"

"Ach, I am sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities, my little one. I only wish to see your special one for the holidays."

"But I don't have a—"

"You do not need to lie to me, Little Yang. I know it is young Chen who has been by your side for so long. I only wish to see you two for myself."

"Wait, but we aren't—"

"I do so hope you will bring your fine young man over to visit me too. It is all this old woman wants, you know. Maybe then, I will see if I can find those dusty manuscripts in my trunk for my favorite grandson to have."

". . ."

"And perhaps I may even be persuaded to give away my Stradivarius?"

". . . Okay, grandmamma, you win. I'll bring my, uh, special one over with me for you to meet."

"Ah, splendid! I am very happy. I will see you in a few days, Little Yang."

"Bye, Ah Ma."

". . ."

". . ."

". . ."

". . . Shit."