Leigh19: Writing Tips

My secret world of writing.

Hello wattpadders this is Lisa (Leigh19)

I never aspired to write but I’ve always had a fascination with using big words that I never fully understood. The only forms of writing in my past were lyrical, that somewhere down the line it became poetry. I’ve always loved listening to stories, being a good old lefty with tons of creative ideas running through my head it’s a wonder I never gave writing a try sooner.

The turn of events in my life that started my love for writing was actually in highschool .My grade 10 English teacher asked us to write an essay on “Who I am”.

Such a vague question that ended up going significantly into detail, starting out with an “ I don’t know who I am..” leading into “ The events in my life shaped me to become the person that I am  today.”

That’s when I discovered I had a lot more to say than I ever thought. Being a writer doesn’t mean you have to be great at it , you don’t need to use big words and no one’s grammar is perfect but it’s the way you express what you feel. Writing gives you a voice and it’s your choice whether or not you want to use it.

Not long after I was given a journal as a gift and up until then I always thought those were cheesy but soon after I found myself writing every single night before bed. Every dream I had that I wanted to remember, every memory that I didn’t want to fade and every emotion I felt were written down. It came to a point where whenever I went out I brought it with me in case I had a sudden urge to jot something down.

Well I’m not sure what else to add so I’ll leave you all with this.

The most important writing tip that was shared with me was:

“Write what you know.”